Duplicate Name on Network

Lus

i recently get error from all clinet from my network when they try to logon. ( Domain )

the error show that Duplicate Name exist on Network. i chek all client netbios name. no duplicate exist.

and i am not Running WINS server.

info :

DC + DNS integeated windows 2000

Client get their IP address from DHCP.

clinet can aacess to share folder only by IP address

my network place is not working on clients

any idea ?

Edited by Lus

hay dude

not sure how you run your network with pc's conected if there all part of a the same build or there all personal laptops ect ect

i run a network of about 300 users and 200 pc all built the same way with the same restrictions ect ect

if your ghosting the machines the SID ID will saty the same Use Ghost walker or any other program that will change the SID ID

Or weather your network is bigger than you can control and people putting jack (personal) machines on your network that there not ment to ect ect

tip dude use TCP/IP get rid netbios( it a hassle more than it can help)

hope i can help mate

i check clients IP and Suffix .

all clients get 2 suffix with same suffix name,

- one suffix is desnigated by itself. ( when join clinet to AD )

- other suffix is applyed by DHCP server.

i delete record 015 (domain name)

i think that, DHCP suffix cause problem. when computer get new IP address or check DHCP get the same suffix as it got befor from DC, and it cause client windows think that other computer has this name.

any idea :-/

Also, if you are using WINS or it is enabled check the WINS database and make sure there are not two records for different computers that have the same name.

To clear the Netbios registrations (WINS) on the computer, go to a cmd prompt and type nbtstat -rr, hit Enter.

To clear DNS, type ipconfig /flushdns, Enter, then ipconfig /registerdns, Enter.

Good luck