run a dll as an app

i_set_fire

hello everyone, i cant seem to find anything helpful on this on the internet so hopefully one of you guys can help. i accidently hit the sleep mode button on my keyboard the other day. my puter went to sleep and wouldnt wake up. i had to turn it off by holding the power button in. when i started back up i got an error message of "run a dll as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close..." and my internet connection said that a network cable is unplugged. i double checked all the plugs and restarted the modem. tried a system restore. went to the device manager and uninstalled/reinstalled the network card. the green lights on the network card are not on either. if it matters, i am running xp pro. anyone have any ideas as to how to rectify this? thanks!

I don't think this 'll help (for now) but it will prevent future accidents with the hibernate button: Turn off hibernation! It will save a lot of your system resources.

To turn it off head to the control panel, click power management, and then to the hibernation tab. Uncheck the "enable hibernation" thingy. click apply, OK and then your set.

Edited by Shoshoni

The error message is from a problem w/System Restore. From your description I don't know why this would be the case. Is this an imaged system or did you transfer it from one drive to another? I found this solution on the net, but I can't guarantee it'll fix your problem. Do step 6 and note how the System Restore tab looks and also note the state of the service before changing it in step 3.

1. Click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services.
  2. Right-click System Restore Service and click Properties.
  3. From the Startup Type drop-down, select Disabled.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Close the Services and Administrative Tools windows.
  6. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and click the System Restore tab. The System Restore tab should now display properly; however, the System Restore service will be disabled.
  7. Enable System Restore and click Apply.

Note: All previous restore points will be removed.

Let me know how it turns out.

That's what Registry Restore is for.....those little "Ooooops" that come along every now and again.

When a system crashes, the copy of the registry in use at that moment can get 'scrambled'. (damaged)

Doing a Registry Restore to a time earlier in the day or the previous day can get everything back up and running normally.

Now, on some systems, a new restore point is only made when the system sees an "Event", like the installation of a new program or when a program like Spybot Search & Destroy takes out some Spyware.

I didn't like that, because it's possible for a computer to go for weeks with NO new restore point being created.

So, I took the situation in hand and wrote a script to force a Restore Point to be made.

I put a shortcut to that script in my Startup folder so I get at least one new restore point every day when I boot or reboot my PC.

For total disasters, I have a Ghost Image of my HD on a second HD, not more than a few days old that I can restore in just over four minutes.

OH YES! Turn OFF Hibernation. That P.O.C. has caused more people more problems than anything else, including spyware and viruses. (as was recounted in this thread)

A clean system will boot up in 20 sec's or less so Hibernation really is redundant. Just turn off your PC when not in use. Let it rest!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Andromeda43 B)

thanks for the suggestions, guys. i will print this out and try it at home over the weekend and let you know monday if it helped. i sure hope it does. btw, i know the hibernation sucks. i never use it. but every souple months i hit the button accidentally. i took your advice from the other day and disabled it, didnt know i could do that. thanks again!

Depending on the power management support you have, you can define the actions of these buttons as well. Look under the Power management on the Advanced tab. In this case I'd set the sleep button to 'Do nothing'. :P

I don't think this 'll help (for now) but it will prevent future accidents with the hibernate button: Turn off hibernation! It will save a lot of your system resources.

To turn it off head to the control panel, click power management, and then to the hibernation tab. Uncheck the "enable hibernation" thingy. click apply, OK and then your set.

First of all hitting the sleep button will not put the machine in hibernate state. It will put it to sleep. If the bios is not fully acpi compliant or configured properly one will have problems in waking the machine from sleep state. To prevent repeating this you should in power properties set up the PC to switch off completely upon pressing the power button. So should you have difficulty in waking the machine you can switch it off gracefully without any errors.

The error message is from a problem w/System Restore. From your description I don't know why this would be the case. Is this an imaged system or did you transfer it from one drive to another? I found this solution on the net, but I can't guarantee it'll fix your problem. Do step 6 and note how the System Restore tab looks and also note the state of the service before changing it in step 3.
  1. Click Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services.
  2. Right-click System Restore Service and click Properties.
  3. From the Startup Type drop-down, select Disabled.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Close the Services and Administrative Tools windows.
  6. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and click the System Restore tab. The System Restore tab should now display properly; however, the System Restore service will be disabled.
  7. Enable System Restore and click Apply.

Note: All previous restore points will be removed.

Let me know how it turns out.

tried this and it didnt work. there was another suggestion to registry restore. how do i do that? also set the sleep button to "do nothing" so hopefully this wont happen again.