Outlook 2003 - Multiple Return addresses per POP acct

cypriiva

First of all, I'm a newbie to this forum, so "hello", and thanks for helping if you can...

I'm using Outlook 2003. I'm on a district committe for the Rotary club to which I belong. I send/receive many emails on their behalf. However, I don't actually check that email server directly. Instead, when an email addressed to me hits that email server, a copy is forwarded to my PERSONAL email address (a different mail server). So when I respond to this email, I'm responding from my personal account. Yet for these specific emails (as well as new ones I create that may be Rotary-related) I'd like the return address in the header to show my ROTARY address, not my personal address.

I've tried multiple searches to find the answer to accomplishing this, without luck. Any suggestions? If I were using Eudora, I'd just create an alternate personality for the Rotary address, set it "not" to check the server for email, and always respond (or create new messages) to Rotary emails using that personality.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Can you retrieve your email directly from that server by creating a 2nd email account setup in OL? That way any email retrieved from that server will contain the Rotary email address by default when you reply.

Failing that, you can create a 2nd email account in OL with the same email settings as your personal email account but using your Rotary email address. When you compose your reply, you can also choose which account to use to send the email.

A quick alternative without creating a new account setup is simply to type in your Rotary email address in the From field when composing a new email or reply. This also works with all previous versions of OL and Windows Messenging, except OL2000 (IMO). The From field is not shown by default, but you can make it visible by going to VIEW > (tick) FROM FIELD on any new message window. There is a drawback to this. Anyone recipient using OL (not OE) and Windows Messenging client will see two email addresses in the From field in the form of:

Your name [personal email address] on behalf of [Rotary email address]

Their replies will be addressed to the Rotary address

Hope this helps.

Edited by Esquire

...Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response.

The Rotary site is forwarding the email immediately, so unless they'll change a system that they don't want to mess with, it won't be possible to log in and change it from own account.

Your "create a 2nd account with same settings as first but with Rotary address as return address" is probably as good as it will get, though it will still require me to remember to change the "From field in my replies, and it will also check my mail server twice consecutively instead of just doing it once. Again, though, I'm looking for a SOLUTION for now, so anything that's better than what I have today is ... better than what I have today. :}

Ahh.... forgot to mention you can configure OL to only check email with one account (personal) and not the other (Rotary).

(For OL 2003)

Tools > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups

Highlight the group (there should be only one by default), click Edit

Select on the left the icon/account you don't want OL to check, and uncheck "Include the selected account in this group"

For OL 2002 the procedure is the same but the menu layout under Tools is different.

There may be another solution but you will need to experiment.

Is there anything special about the header of the messages you receive through the Rotary server? You can also create a message rule that will move these email to a specific folder (I'll let you work out how to format the rule, but I'm sure "move email received from one account" won't work). Once OL has been setup to do that, try a plugin called RealAccount to see if it can assign account to your Rotary replies automatically (I haven't tried it).