Question: Win PE 2.0: automated build from BDD 2007 Beta

staples

I have been working on a batch file to build Win PE 2.0 but I have not been able to build the ISO.

The concept from a blog.

Here is my batch file:

:: for use with BDD 2007 v3.0.41.0

::------Clean up.
rd /q /s winpe_x86

::------Initial PE build
c:
cd "c:\program files\windows aik\tools\petools"
call copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86

::------Add additional file to D: in PE (not on the RAM)
:: NOTE: These files show up on the “D:” drive after booting into WinPE.
:: The reason for putting additional tools here is to reduce the memory footprint of
:: WinPE. Everything in the X: drive is loaded into RAM at boot time!

::xcopy *.* c:\winpe_x86\iso /s/e/v/y
xcopy "C:\program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\*.*" c:\winpe_x86\iso /s/e/v/y

::------Customize PE

::Mount the WinPE WIM file:
imagex /apply c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 1 c:\winpe_x86\mount

::Install drivers
::peimg /inf=c:\drivers\vmware\vmxnet\win2k\vmware-nic.inf c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows C:\winpe_x86_2>peimg /inf=c:\drivers\vmware\vmxnet\win2k\vmxnet.inf c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows

::Install optional components
peimg /install=*srt* c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows

::shows currently installed optional packages
peimg /list c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows

::If you want ImageX (or any other utilities) in the RAM disk, put them there now:
xcopy "C:\program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\*.*" c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows\system32\*.* /s/e/v/y

::Prep the PE image
peimg /prep c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows /f

::capture the mounted PE instace to a WIM
imagex /append c:\winpe_x86\mount c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim "MyWinPE" /verify

::Export the appended image to a bootable WIM file:
imagex /boot /export /compress max c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 2 c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

::Create the Iso
oscdimg -n –bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

It seems to be failing at the line

imagex /boot /export /compress max c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 2 c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

Any help is appreciated.

The error I recieve is "Error 5: Access is denied" from the oscdimg command.

This is the output from line (it does not really give a error message but it completes in a split second.... and I think it causes the next line in the batch script to fail).

imagex /boot /export /compress max c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 2 c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim "MyWinPE"
C:\winpe_x86>imagex /boot /export /compress max c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 2 c:\winp
e_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim "MyWinPE"

ImageX Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2005. All rights reserved.

Exporting: [c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim, 2] ->
[c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim]

Progress: 100%

Successfully exported image #2.

The next line that actually returns a error is:

oscdimg -n –bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

C:\winpe_x86>oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x8
6\winpe_x86.iso

OSCDIMG 2.45 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2000. All rights reserved.
For Microsoft internal use only.

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "c:\winpe_x86\ISO"
Error 5: Access is denied.

i know this will sound stupid but rewrite you command line for OSCDIMG, i had the same error cause i copied in parts of the command line (paths etc) and i got the same error, by typing everything in by hand it worked. don't know why but it did, give it a shot

• 3 months later...
possibly because of the vbcrlf in c:\winpe_x8

6\winpe_x86.iso...

Actually the problem is that in the command in the document “Getting_Started_ITPro.rtf”, under “To create bootable Windows PE media”, step 5:

the dash before ‘bc’ is not a normal dash (0x2D ansi), but is in fact an ‘En-Dash’ (0X96 ansi, 0x0x2013 unicode). As one might expect, when this is cut and pasted in a command window it looks perfect but oscdimg.exe does not grok it and gives forth:

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "c:\winpe_x86\ISO"

Error 5: Access is denied.

Which is, to say the least, not very helpful...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I am running Windows 7 enterprise in Oracle VirtualBox . I am logged in as administrator. I have started the Application Manager service. I run the Deployment Kit command line as Administrator. I have adjusted the cmd console so I get the correct -. I am typing the command not pasting. I still get the "Error 5: Access Denied" message. Any other tips on what to do would be much appriciated.

The command I was using: oscdimg.exe -n -bc: \winpe\etfsboot.com c: \winpe\ISO c: \winpe\winpe.iso

I removed the "-b" files began copying. Then I got a message that read file to large... I then added a "-o" at the end to optimize and compress and this seemed to work.

Hope this helps someone else! :thumbup

Woops. Still got the file too large message. :no: Modified the "-o" to "-m" to override the file too large error. Now it really worked, YOOHOO!!! B)

OK. None of that worked. But want did work was using the MDT 2010 Update 1. Once I installed that everything worked great. :lol:

BTW, I don't know who moved my post, but the problem was with Win PE 3.0 not 2.0.

Edited by rdrussell