UMDF is not working (Mobile Center)

Vounce

Hey guys, have been using vista for a while now and it works great, except for one thing.

As I have a laptop i want to be able to surf through my mobile when away from home and the here comes the problem.

When i connect my mobile, Windows Mobile Device Center starts, and after a while an error window pops up and says

"User-mode driver framework host process stopped working and was closed"

And the device wont connect.

Ive tried downloading the latest UMDF drivers from M$ but still it wont work.

My cellphone is a Neonode N1m, probably an unknown for most of you (google it ;) ) The only way to connect it is through USB

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Daniel

Edited by Vounce

very cool looking for, but also very exotic, i noted it uses Windows CE 5.0 for the OS it runs, not sure if support is present in Vista for this or not, will have to look into it.

CE5.0 should most definately be supported in Vista. It happilly connects to my WM2003SE device and syncs everything it can. AFAIK WM2003 and WM2003SE is based around CE4.2 and 4.21, however, they are true Windows Mobile devices.

Can you sync the Neonode using Activesync under XP? If not I don't think it will sync with Vista without the use of 3rd-party apps.

Edited by Biohead

Yeah, I can sync it with XP but since the vista has a mobile center I want to test it :D

But since it doesn´t work right now (perhaps with some new updates with vista) I guess ill have to use XP :P

vounce your best bet to make sure that they support your device is get ahold of the company that made your Phone and see if they will support vista yet or if they will need to release a update of the firmware for the phone to work properly windows CE 5.0 was the OS that your phone started with but i bet it was heavily modified to work the way that they have it on your phone

• 1 month later...

It's really stupid to expect any device manufacturer, to add support for Windows Mobile Center, The devices have limited resources, all of which are directed towards faster performance. It's enough that they have implemented Active Sync, You really can't expect them to keep supporting every different interface Microsoft chooses to create.

Microsoft should make Mobile center backward compatible.

I also have been using Windows Vista, and am a proud owner of a Neonode. It's really sad that Microsoft chose not to support WinCE 5, and active Sync.

The only solution is to switch off the phone, so that it very smartly converts into a Mass Storage USB drive, and is accessible through Vista.

The sad part is that, without Active Sync you can't debug WinCE applications through Visual Studio. But this should not be a problem for normal users who don't develop.

Girish

girish.pattabiraman@gmail.com

the only thing holding me back from being perfectly happy with RC1 is the fact that the "built in" activesync/mobile center does not allow syncing of outlook to keep my smartphone up to date with my contacts and calendar etc...

i am stuck because you cant install activesync on vista but at the same time vista only sync's with media and i could care less about that. i find it funny that i am running a microsoft OS on my phone and my pc and they cant sync my contacts etc.. in outlook.

i hope there will be a fix for this very soon because i do not want to go back to xp just to sync but i may have to :(