ACPI Thermal Control and WinPE

tester1234

Does anyone know the ACPI thermal related methods such as _PSV(CPU clock throttling) and _CRT(critical shutdown) are still useful in WinPE environment or not?

I think this issue is very important, becuase if WinPE is used for some long-run purpose, the hardware may be damaged if there's no thermal protection in ACPI.

Edited by tester1234

to be honest, no idea...

however, WinPE is primarly desgined for deployment scenarios and no uptime OS. WinPE shell will auto reboot within 24 hours unless haxxed and files have been replaced.

Best Regards

Tha Sausage Eater...

Thanks a lot for your comment :) I really don't know WinPE cannot run over 24 hours... is this spec mentioned somwhere on Micorsoft's documents ?

to be honest, no idea...

however, WinPE is primarly desgined for deployment scenarios and no uptime OS. WinPE shell will auto reboot within 24 hours unless haxxed and files have been replaced.

Best Regards

Tha Sausage Eater...

Edited by tester1234

hmmm.... dunno, in the old version (WinPE 2004) documentations it was mentioned within "limitations". checked the winpe.chm (2005) but could not find it... now that we are talking about it, I am not sure that limitation is still in there as I have never tried to keep WinPE running for MORE than 24 hours. Maby some other dudes in here knowns about it..

I remember that it was the 24 hour limitation and there were limitations to not accept incoming requests, services (server service)..

good luck to u...

Nope, it is still in there.... open winpe.chm and within the section "Introduction to Windows PE" u have the section: "Limitations of Windows PE".

"To prevent its use as a pirated operating system, Windows PE automatically stops running the shell and reboots after 24 hours of continuous use." - of course there is ways around it even though one would brake the support agreement with MS.

Thanks a lot for your comment :) I really don't know WinPE cannot run over 24 hours... is this spec mentioned somwhere on Micorsoft's documents ?

to be honest, no idea...

Best Regards

Tha Sausage Eater...

Yes... cut from the Docs...

<snip>

Windows PE Limitations

Windows PE is a subset of Windows Vista, and has the following limitations:

To reduce its size, Windows PE includes only a subset of the available Win32 APIs. Included are I/O (disk and network) and core Win32 APIs.

To prevent its use as a pirated operating system, Windows PE automatically stops running the shell and reboots after 24 hours of continuous use.

Windows PE cannot act as a file server or Terminal Server. (Remote Desktop is unsupported.)

Distributed File System (DFS) name resolution is supported for standalone roots only. Domain roots are not supported.

The tested methods of gaining network connectivity to file servers are TCP/IP and NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Other methods, such as the IPX/SPX network protocol, are not supported.

All changes that you make to the Windows PE registry while running Windows PE are lost the next time you restart the computer. To make permanent registry changes, you must edit the registry offline before starting Windows PE.

Drive letters are assigned in consecutive order as you create partitions in Windows PE; however, the driver letters are reset to the default order when you restart Windows PE.

Windows PE does not support the Microsoft .NET framework or the Common Language Runtime (CLR).

Windows PE does not include the “Windows on Windows 32” (WOW32), “Windows on Windows 64” (WOW64), Virtual DOS Machine (VDM), OS/2 or POSIX subsystems.

To install a 64-bit version of Windows you must use a 64-bit version of Windows PE. Likewise, to install a 32-bit version of Windows you must use a 32-bit version of Windows PE.

Windows PE can be used to configure and partition a computer's disks before starting Windows Setup. If any hard disks are converted to dynamic disks with Diskpart.exe before you start Windows Setup, then those hard disks are recognized as foreign when the operating system is installed, and any volumes on those hard disks will not be accessible.

Windows PE does not support applications packaged with Windows Installer (.msi).

Windows PE does not support 802.1x.