share a folder b/w two computers

alan266e

here is my scenario:

Two computers with XP installed and 10mb home phone line network: A and B

A folder on A named stuff

How do i set up the computers so that only user X on computer B can access the folder stuff on computer A?

thx a lot

Can you tell us every detail about your network? It will save us from explaining what you have to do (which would be as big as a guide)

Tell us what this "home phone line network" is, do you mean a 100Mbit network connected by cat5 cable and a hub? or a crossover cable?

Tell us your LAN Properties info, what protocols are in use, what IP address is assigned etc.

Assuming your Home Phone Line Network is set up properly (basically this is ethernet using the existing phone lines in the house). Can you see computer B in My Network Places on computer A? If so, you should be able to go to the folder you want to share and right click then select Sharing and Security. Select "Share this folder" and put in the proper permissions - user name that youwant to give access to etc. note that by default "Everyone" is given full permissions so you will need to adjust this accordingly.

LS

thanks for your responses :-)

when i set the permission for the folder (on computer A), i can't find the users from the computer B to select.

what do i do so that i can select users from computer B for permission?

thx a lot

Guest LouCypher

If both can see each other in Network Neighborhood then just make sure the login name and password is the same on both computers, and give permissions to that user on the computer with the resources you want to share. You can't add the users from another computer, you have be part of a DOMAIN to do that.