error: <name> not accessible..Logon Failure, target acct name in

Hi,

I'm administrating a small office network using 2 w2k3 servers, and all client machines are running xp sp2.

Today, I discovered there is 1 machine I am unable to access through net. I see the icon of that machine (lets call WorkOne) and when I double click it, err says:

\\WorkOne is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.

so I tried google it, but it the result was talking about SPN or replic about w2k3. Well, 2k3 is working fine. I can access it through net, in fact I can access every other machines through net except "this" one. So I don't know what could cause the problem.

Then I tried access it again through net using IP instead of hostname (\\192.168.1.xxx), and it work...., (the only diff is, normally when I double click the icon, it won't ask me for username and password, but this time it does...i don't know why) then I think maybe the DNS has problem? I tried look at AD under MMC, I have the correct computer name (WorkOne).

And then I tried ping the hostname under cmd: ping workone, sure enough I got response also. So DSN is recongize it...

Now I'm lost, and I don't know how to trouble shoot this problem, please feel free ask me more questions, so I can futher narrow down the root causing problem.

Conclusion: I want anyone in the office to be able to double click the icon "Workone" at their own computer without the need to provide username and password, in order to access the shared resouces.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Mordac85,

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not check permission on WorkOne yet. Am I suppose to check that from win2k3 AD level, or am I suppose to check it at WorkOne physically?

-WorkOne is connected to a printer, and I am 100% possible that printer is shared to everyone (just checked yesterday). However, I can't even access that printer. I don't know if it has to do with permission again?

-is there's any reason why i can access to WorkOne through net by using IP address and not hostname?

-I didn't removed and re-add WorkOne to the domain, but other then me, there is another person have access to administrator acct (and he's gone for vacation). suppose if that is the case, should i go ahead and remove workone from the domain and re-add it?

thank you for your time

p.s:

I forgot to mention, that WorkOne machine is able to access other shared information on the domain, but no other machine is about to access info from WorkOne. So it is obvious to me that WorkOne is actually on the domain, don't know if that would help troubleshoot the problem :)

I just had a similar issue this AM and had to remove the server from the domain and re-join. Still looking into why it wouldn't authenticate properly, but that fixed the problem for me. Assuming you're in a domain environment, you may want to try the same thing on WorkOne.