Set permanent environment variable

T D

Hi,

Environmental Variables are stored in the Registry.

Current User:

HKCU\Environment

Local Machine:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

Use a tool like reg.exe to modify these.

Bye, Egon

Is there anyway to set a permanent environment variable via a batch file? set *=* only works during the batch.

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Enviroment" /v "EnviromentVariableName" /d "EnviromentVariableValue"

You can set it by simply going to control panel - system - advanced & selecting the environmental variable at the bottom. You can add, edit or delte required settings here. I always change this to set my temp file to an independent 5 gb partition created for this purpose. Keeps your c: drive neat & clean. You can also set user specific environment here. No need to tinker with the registry.

You can set it by simply going to control panel - system - advanced & selecting the environmental variable at the bottom. You can add, edit or delte required settings here. I always change this to set my temp file to an independent 5 gb partition created for this purpose. Keeps your c: drive neat & clean. You can also set user specific environment here. No need to tinker with the registry.

Hi PMshah,

the OP wanted to know if global environment variable setup is possible from within BATCH FILES, not manually.

Bye, Egon

Thanks egrath for clarification.

pmshah thanks too but I wanted to know if I could automate this.

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Enviroment" /v "EnviromentVariableName" /d "EnviromentVariableValue"

Thanks Belazel, that's what I needed.

I have a similar question: how do I incorporate a variable in a reg add command.

For example, if I define %media% as my media drive, which is G:, how can I use that variable to change the icon of that drive using that variable instead of G.

The regkey I want to modify is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G

spacesurfer :

@echo off
set media=G
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\%media%" /ve /d "X:\Path\To\Your\Icon.ico" /f

I'm interested with that too 'coz i never see it working when set manually with regedit (icon cache rebuilt) ????

++

• 4 weeks later...

Delprat,

Finally got around to making this work.

Upon a fresh install, I used the FOR command in a script to search my partitions for files called programs.tag, media.tag, images.tag, documents.tag and apply icons called programs.ico, media.ico, documents.ico and images.ico.

It works perfectly. No need to rebuild cache. Hitting F5 to refresh updates the icons for those partitions.