[help] Alternate Configuration TCP/IP properties

D8TA

I am trying to figure out how to change the DNS and WINS settings for the TCP/IP properties on over 500 notebooks. We have the General configuration set to DHCP for both the IP and DNS so when the users leave the office and plug into their home ISP they will be able to access the internet, etc. Then when they come back in the office we use static IPs so the Alternate Configuration is set. The problem now is we are changing the addresses for the DNS servers and WINS servers and I cannot figure out how to change them. We don't currently have an AD/Directory service yet but that is in the works for this year. All PCs are running Windows XPsp2 and the notebooks are Dell D600 or D610 models. I tried to use the registry key and import that but it appears it takes the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway from the settings also. I cannot have 500 notebooks with the same IP address and not expect to generate help desk calls. I am not fluent in scripting but am assuming that is the way to go. Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks!

Go to command line and type:

netsh interface ip set dns /?

netsh interface ip set wins /?

To get a list of commands you can use to configure DNS and WINS from command line. Once you figure out the parameters you need to change your settings, you can put that in a batch file to run as a login script.

I would provide further assistance, but I have never actually tried to do this myself...

Go to command line and type:

netsh interface ip set dns /?

netsh interface ip set wins /?

To get a list of commands you can use to configure DNS and WINS from command line. Once you figure out the parameters you need to change your settings, you can put that in a batch file to run as a login script.

I would provide further assistance, but I have never actually tried to do this myself...

Yeah, I did this for our desktops but this doesn't seem to work for the alternate configuration settings.

Thanks though.

• 3 months later...

Once I have an IP address, Subnet, Gateway, DNS information entered into the Alternative Address is there a way I can remove them all or disable the Alternative Address and just use DHCP? Currently I have several notebooks setup for alternative IP address because we did use static IP addresses. We are now moving to DHCP and I want to remove all these entries. I've tried resetting the IP stack but that doesn't appear to work for the alternative address. I know it really doesn't matter because once the notebook connects our DHCP server will assign it an address but I would like to clear these entries.

Any help would be appreciated.