Cant switch on transparency :(

Trey Parker

I've istalled Windows Vista Build 5384.4 Beta 2, already activated it (via phone), and it doesnt seem to let me enable the transaprency. When I put a tick on box to enable it and hit ok, nothing happens. I go back to settings again, and see that box is unchecked(!). I definately believe that it cant be caused by poor hardware performance, since my pc, according to vista, is rated 2, and my graphics card is Nvidia FX5200 128 MB RAM. I had no troubles with aero transparency on earlyer builds- 5308 and 5342. Any ideas?

Yep, Nvidia vista drivers are installed, but that doesn't help at all. And what is the WinSat? Is it that additional performance test below the rating table? BTW, as I got it, the higher rating you get, the better your pc is?

Edited by Trey Parker

correct the higher rating, the better able you are to run vista, if you right click on my computer (or hold the windows key + pause/break) and go to properties, you should be able to check your rating there. there also will be a place to rerun winSat (it is the app that runs the rating system for vista) better score means more options are unlocked in vista (ie aero etc)

Let me re-word it - what if you make the screen resolution lower, for example 1024x768?

Does Aero Glass work then?

I tink 88.61 came out to coincide with beta 2, so you'll not have tried that version with a previous build... so we don't know if it's the later build of Vista or the later ForceWare driver.

If you have the older build you could always verify with the 88.61 driver to see if it's the driver or not.

Well, it seems that when I lower the resulution, transparency enables (to 1280x800 or less, but mine monitor is 17" TFT, so normal is 1280x1024), meaning that I'm forced to choose between crappy view or missing full aero experience, thank you, M$ >:( . BTW, which cattegory, on your opinion, is mostly responsible for such inconvenience? (Rating)

Edited by Trey Parker

Well, it seems that when I lower the resulution, transparency enables (to 1280x800 or less, but mine monitor is 17" TFT, so normal is 1280x1024), meaning that I'm forced to choose between crappy view or missing full aero experience, thank you, M$ >:( . BTW, which cattegory, on your opinion, is mostly responsible for such inconvenience? (Rating)
Okay, well that would imply the driver it quite happily determining Aero Glass support is possible, but some resource is running out or a threshold being exceeded when you ramp up the requirements too high.

What about 1280x1024x16?

Does Aero Glass work then?

Not sure if the req's for beta 2 just raise the bar a bit and your current GPU can't cut it... this is an AGP card right? 512MB system memory... have you tried tinkering with the AGP aperture size in the BIOS at all?

The rating tool is pretty clear - the weakest link there is the GPU and the graphics memory.

I noticed on my Dell Inspiron that if your "Graphics" rating sinks below 2.5, you lose Aero Glass effects. I had this happen because I was running on batteries while playing with the WinSat app, and PowerPlay had reduced my GPU clockspeed to something like 200mhz.

Once I plugged my laptop in, the clockspeed came back and my score jumped by quite a bit. That's how I ended up finding it out :)

Edit

Just clicked on the link to your performance rating picture... That explains it! I'm still curious why my x1300 mobility is laying the smack down on your setup? 64mb of dedicated ram on a 64-bit bus at ~300mhz in combination with two pixel pipes with 2 ALU's each just doesn't seem like I should be so much further ahead. Let me post back in a few with my own screencap to show you what I mean...

Edited by Albuquerque