Windows 98 Updates and Freezing Explorer

Wijono

A couple of days back Microsoft has come up with 5 simultaneous updates for Win98SE, which might most probably be their last updates for Win98SE. Those updates are:

KB916281 -> IE6.0sp1 on Windows-98-ME

KB918439 -> IE6.0sp1 on Windows-98-ME

KB917344 -> Windows9X

KB918547 -> Windows98

KB917734 -> WindowsMedia9 on Win9x

KB916281 contains among other BROWSEUI.DLL Version 6.0.2800.1692. So if you decided to carry out the updates from Windows Update website, then it will set the BROWSEUI.DLL above as default, thereby deactivating the patch to overcome freezing Explorer when deleting a lot of files as described in following thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=452384

With other words, once you did those updates above via Windows Update website, you may need to redo the patch mentioned above to avoid freezing Explorer when deleting a lot of files.

Strange enough, when you download those updates and implement them manually (not via Windows Update website), then the patch to overcome freezing Explorer above will stay untouched.

I did the updates except the resident one browseui was changed but the patched one in windows was untouched, is that ok ?

Why are they changing it if it's a security risk ?

this is the 3rd or forth time they fiddled with these files, what gives ?

Edited by EAT MY DUST

One way of checking whether the patch as described above to avoid Explorer freeze is still effective or not is to create a temporary folder, then copy (be careful do not move) as many files as possible, such as over one thousand, into that temporary folder, then select all those file and delete them at one go, if the patch is still effective, then the Explorer will delete those files briskly, otherwise it will start to freeze.

But there is a better way of verifying it. First make sure that the version 5.50 of BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL are still intact in the %windir% (usually C:\WINDOWS). Internet Explorer shall not run, start "Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" -> "System Information". Click to expand "Software Environment" at the left panel -> click "32-bit Modules Loaded", at the right panel search the BROWSELC.DLL and verify that the version is indeed 5.50.... If the version is not 5.50 but 6.00, then the patch has been deactivated, and you need to redo it.

The other questions are hard to answer, I also don't know why Microsoft did not solve the problem properly in the first place...

No, I didn't have to redo anything. (And I used windowsupdate)

Just as I expected since you solved this problem so elegant. Yes browseui.dll 6.0 in c:/windows/system/ is updated but explorer.exe is still using the 5.5 version in c:/windows. The newer versions are only loaded when you start IE.

Btw; is your browseui.dll 6.0.2800.1692 also dated 18-06-2005 ??

The answer for noguru, my BROWSEUI.DLL in %windir%\System folder after the update is Version 6.00.2800.1692 (xpsp2.050617-2102) dated 18-06-2005.

I did all 5 updates in one go via Windowsupdate site, and I really don't know, after that update the default BROWSEUI.DLL is the one in the %windir%\System, so that I had to redo the patch to avoid freezing Explorer. But, in another Win98SE PC, I first downloaded those 5 updates and do the updates manually, there the default BROWSEUI.DLL stays with the one in the %windir%, which is version 5.50.

I have created Hangfix.bat, anticipating the need to repatch after each cum. IE update that includes browseui.dll. I had posed the question of whether this might be needed; I guess you answered that!

cjl

Good idea CLASYS to prepare the batch file.

Some say that even after Windowsupdate the default BROWSEUI.DLL will stay unchanged.

I have different experience though, mine was moved back to the version 6.00 in System folder.

Therefore I had made also the batch file as you. But the Windowsupdate for Win98SE will end this month, we might not need it anymore in the future.