FilterKeys

cassini_mtn

Windows XP Pro SP2

Lab with 9 identical PCs

Each PC has to "limited" accounts and 1 "admin" account

At login, a student held down the right shift key for 8+ seconds & initiated the "filter key" notice.

I promoted each of the limited accounts to "admin" level; then logged in, on each of the 3 accounts and edited the registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]

"Flags"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\HighContrast]

"Flags"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\MouseKeys]

"Flags"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys]

"Flags"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys]

"Flags"=""

The above steps were taken from http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mode=linearplus

I rebooted [ not logged off ] held down the right shift button for 8+ seconds & again the "filter keys" screen appeared.

I have searched the registry for "filterkeys" and found nothing.

I created HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\FilterKeys] and string value of"Flags" with a value of ""

control panel > accessibility options > "keyboard" tab > F'ilterKeys" is not selected. "Settings" button > "ignore quick keystrokes and slowdown the repeat rate" is selected. It is a radio button so I cannot "deselect" it. > settings I have set it to "no keyboard repeat" under the "override setting on the keyboard control panel".

All critical windows updates were installed, as of 9 June 2006. I have not installed the June set.

I await your assistance.

Sincerely,

CM

Edited by cassini_mtn

FilterKeys... I think it's one of the most useless features there is. Having it enable by "parking" on the shift key for 8 seconds is equally stupid, since resting on the shift key is something I should be able to do!

At a computer lab I worked at, we'd frequently recieve reports of "bad keyboard" when it was actually FilterKeys!

I think uninstalling the accessibility utilities will remove it.