what doese upg mean

twreesesman2006

you can do a full install of xp from an upgrade cd if you have a windows cd from a past version. i know 98 SE works as does ME/2000. im not sure of 95, but when your installing the upgrade version it asks for it, and it lists all compatable versions. hell, i think nt 3 is there too. if you want, i can find out fairly easily, i gotta reload my desktop today, so ill reload it with my upgrade for XP cd and see what it says.

-brian

"Upg" definitely means "Upgrade" but that's the only place in that whole article that it's even mentioned.

I wonder if it's not just a misprint. :}

If it is truly an upgrade, then it will only load from within some earlier version of windows. It won't boot up a PC or load from a DOS prompt. Microshaft upgrades have always been like that.

A full retail version will....

That's how I got from Winders-98/SE to XP-Pro. I had to install my own SP2 when it came out later, and then I slipstreamed XP together with SP2 for a really great upgrade CD.

That new egg price seems a bit high though. :whistle:

B)

HANKS GUYS

:lol: no problem, thats what we're here for. have fun on the forums! :D

If it is truly an upgrade, then it will only load from within some earlier version of windows. It won't boot up a PC or load from a DOS prompt. Microshaft upgrades have always been like that.

A full retail version will....

umm, i dont beleive thats right. an upgrade cd will boot a computer, and you can do a full install with it. you just need a copy of an older version of windows to prove that you can use it. i have a copy of XP home that is an upgrade and that works like that. i need a full version of another version of windows. can be 98 or even 95 i think. but you need an old version of windows for it to work.

also, a friend of mine had a windows 98 se upgrade disc and we found that out the hard way. lol, i needed a copy of another version of windows. luckily he had a full version of 95 and that worked. so i know that works. maybe theres different versions of the upgrades perhaps? :huh:

-brian

Edited by brian10161

"i have a copy of XP home that is an upgrade and that works like that. i need a full version of another version of windows. can be 98 or even 95 i think. but you need an old version of windows for it to work."

what i meant when i said that was, you need to have the cd of the old version. you can boot the computer with an upgrade cd of XP and start to install it. it will ask you for he original 95, 98, me, 2000, nt cd and if you provide one, it will continue on.

-brian

Yeah, i rember using a 98 upgrade cd to install from and all i could find in terms of orignal media was a copy of windows 95 on floppy disks, and ms wont let you off by just looking at the first disk. it wants to check a random 10 disks.

humm, this has reminded me that i never did find out why we had a copy of windows 95 on floppy disks :/

what i meant when i said that was, you need to have the cd of the old version. you can boot the computer with an upgrade cd of XP and start to install it. it will ask you for he original 95, 98, me, 2000, nt cd and if you provide one, it will continue on.

I get what you mean. But you can't upgrade from windows 95 but if it asks you for a full version windows cd, if you put 95 in it works! But why can't you upgrade from it then?

neither of them ran by default, but 95 B (OSR2 and OSR 2.1) worked with Fat 32. Windows 95 a didnt.

personally i really like windows 95. it was just so simple yet you could do a lot with it. i just wish usb and my wifi card were supported by it. then id still be using it.

i have a copy of 95 on floppies too. it came with an old daewoo notebook i had for a while. lol.that always took ages to install.

-brian

Edited by brian10161