Win 2K ISO file, CDIMAGE, and BOOT.BIN

wpgwpg

I am a moderately skilled user trying to use HFSLIP for the first time. I've made the files with the hotfixes, DirectX, IE6, etc. and run HFSLIP (60528 version) to create a new SOURCESS folder. The process appears to've gone well, but I've gotten lost trying to create an ISO file. It appears that I need to d/l CDIMAGE and BOOT.INI files to go in HFTOOLS, is that right? If so, where do I obtain these? I'm running Win 2K on a system with 3 different OSes (Win Me, Win XP, and Win 2K) so I really don't want to mess up my boot sector, and search as I might, I haven't figured out where I need to get these files from, or find out what I'm missing here. I did put BBIE.EXE, MKISOFS.EXE, and CYGWIN1.DLL in HFTOOLS. I have NERO 6 installed.

If some kind soul could point me in the right direction, I'd be most eternally grateful! :-)

TIA

To make the ISO, you need the bootsector extracted from the original windows disc.

HFSLIP does it automagically (with BBIE.EXE) only if the CD is in one of your optical drives.

I can't see anything else wrong in what you've tried, so there's two solutions :

1. you have the bootsector file from a WinNT 5 disc (win2000, winxp, win2003) : name it "BOOT.BIN" and place it in HFTOOLS
  2. you don't, but you have one WinNT 5 disc (hopefully this Win 2K you're playing with) : place the disc in the drive

Then, you can try again to make the ISO with HFSLIP : run the script, and when you're asked to type "i have read the instruction", type "MAKEISO" instead.

As you stated you got Nero 6, you can make this iso with it (or burn a CD), but Nero will also ask you for the bootsector. Options to define in Nero are : No Emulation / load @ 07C0 / nb of sectors 4. And a boot message, if you want.

++

Delprat, thanks much for your reply. I guess I'm missing something basic here, but when you say "you have the bootsector file from a WinNT 5 disk", I need help. What file(s) do I copy from the Win 2K CD? I don't see anything named BOOT.xxx. I see a folder named BOOTDISK with files named BOOTIMG1.IMG thru BOOTIMG4.IMG and two EXE files, do I need to do something with these?

Secondly I need help with your 2nd option. I tried putting the Win2000 CD in the drive, running HFSLIP again, and replying MAKEISO when it asks me to type "I have read the instruction", but it quits apparently without doing anything. I searched my drive for a .ISO file and found nothing. So could you please help this poor dummy understand what I'm missing? I've seen the results of HFSLIP, and I know it does great things, but it sure has a learning curve, doesn't it!

TIA

Boy oh boy am I getting an education! Now I'm wondering how to create an updated copy of the original Win2000 CD that has everything I need to install Win2000 on PC with a freshly formatted hard drive. What I was hoping to create was an updated version of the original CD, but I see it didn't do that. Only the I386 folder, no AUTORUN.INF, no SETUP.EXE, none of the other folders.

OK, I ran BBIE from the command prompt and created a BOOT.BIN file, put it in the HFTOOLS folder, and reran HFSLIP replying MAKEISO when it asked for my reply. This time it DID create the ISO file. The NERO examples in the online doc must've been made prior to NERO 6 because I couldn't relate it to what I have. So I used my (much more user friendly!) ROXIO version 7 and burned the CD. With Roxio you can just double-click the ISO file, and everything's automatic. However, as I mentioned above, I didn't get what what I wanted, so maybe I've just been on a wild goose chase with this ISO idea?

Somebody, please, HELP!

TIA

okay, sorry for the late.

First, some comments :

1/ the "bootdisk" folder and files allow you to create a set of floppies to start the install, for old computers not able to boot from CD. You can delete the folder if you need some space on your CD.

2/ the bootsector is not a "classical" file on your CD : windows can't let you see it. You succeed with BBIE manually, i don't understand why HFSLIP fails ????

3/ you don't need to create an ISO file if you plan to burn a CD. With Nero (i never used roxio), drag & drop the contents of the SOURCESS folder in a new compilation, then set the boot options. Look at this page (just skip the second screenshot 'coz you already have the bootsector file)

FYI, ISO files are only "raw" copies of CD/DVD (nothing to do with the contents of the CD)

Now, your last question :

Now I'm wondering how to create an updated copy of the original Win2000 CD that has everything I need to install Win2000 on PC with a freshly formatted hard drive. What I was hoping to create was an updated version of the original CD, but I see it didn't do that. Only the I386 folder, no AUTORUN.INF, no SETUP.EXE, none of the other folders.

Can you post here (as an attachement, or in [ CODEBOX ] [ /CODEBOX ] tags) your HFSLIP.LOG file ?

And did you copied those missing files/folders in the SOURCE folder ?

(the files you're talking about are not required to initiate the install if you boot from the CD ; nor the "other folders" which contains additional components)

++

Delprat, you know some good sutff! I'm starting to put it together now, muchas gracias for your patience and great feedback. :-) I booted from the CD I burned (from the ISO file), and sure 'nuff I got the desired "Windows 2000 Professional Setup" screen (after it's usual diddling around loading drivers, inspecting my setup, etc., etc). I'm starting to really love HFSLIP now! :-) The tip about putting the "other folders" and stuff in the SOURCESS folder answers another question I had , too.

Re your request for the HFSLIP.LOG file, here 'tis:

This file is automatically generated by HFSLIP.

The HFSLIP program is for personal use only.

Copyright © TommyP 2005-2006.

==========================HOW TO REPORT A PROBLEM==============================

Make a compressed package (ZIP format only) containing the following files:

- HFSLIP.LOG (this file)

- WU.TXT (report generated by HFNetChk)

- if of relevance, logs from other tools with information about the problem

Get HFNetChk from http://hfnetchk.shavlik.com/hfreadme.asp and install it.

Command to generate the HFNetChk report if installed in the default location:

"%ProgramFiles%\Shavlik Technologies\HFNetChk\HFNetChk" -V -F C:\WU.TXT

Start a new thread on the HFSLIP support forum to explain your problem and

attach the ZIP package to your post.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=129

===============================================================================

HFSLIP Version - 60528

Your path - G:\HFSLIP\

OS you are slipstreaming - 2000 SP4 English

MSIE Version - 2KIE6

FDV Fileset - Not Used

DX9C - Slipstreamed

CD Install Path - Default

Merge Option - DRIVER.CAB Updated

Files in your FIX folder:

winnt_sif.htm

Files in your HF folder:

IE6.0sp1-KB833989-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsMedia9-KB891122-x86-Global-ENU.exe

MDAC253-KB911562-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-KB842773-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB890046-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB893756-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896358-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896422-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896423-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896424-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899587-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899589-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899591-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB900725-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB901017-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB901214-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB902400-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB904706-v2-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-KB905414-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB905749-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB908506-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB908519-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB908523-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB908531-v2-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB912919-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB913580-x86-ENU.EXE

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

WindowsMedia-KB911564-x86-ENU.exe

Windows-KB890830-V1.17.exe

Windows2000-KB917953-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB917344-56-x86-enu.Exe

WindowsMedia9-KB917734-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-KB914389-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB911280-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-KB917736-x86-ENU.EXE

IE6.0sp1-KB916281-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe

rootsupd.exe

IE6.0sp1-KB823353-x86-ENU.exe

IE6.0sp1-KB896688-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe

oe6.0sp1-KB897715-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe

scripten.exe

Files in your HFCABS folder:

ADVAUTH.CAB

AOLSUPP.CAB

BRANDING.CAB

GSETUP95.CAB

GSETUPNT.CAB

HELPCONT.CAB

IECIF.CAB

IEDATA.CAB

IEMIL_1.CAB

IEMIL_2.CAB

IEMIL_3.CAB

IEMIL_4.CAB

IEW2K_1.CAB

IEW2K_2.CAB

IEW2K_3.CAB

IEW2K_4.CAB

IE_EXTRA.CAB

MOBILE95.CAB

MOBILENT.CAB

OEEXCEP.CAB

actsetup.CAB

axa.cab

axa3.cab

crlupd.cab

LegitCheckControl.cab

dxnt.cab

BDANT.cab

mailnews.cab

scripten.cab

wab.cab

Files in your HFSVCPACK folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW folder:

MPSetup.exe

Files in your HFTOOLS folder:

MSICabExtract.exe

MSICabExtract.txt

bbie.exe

cygwin1.dll

mkisofs.exe

HFSLIP run time: 18m58s

What's the problem then ?

Files in your FIX folder:

winnt_sif.htm

this is an error on your side : either you didn't named it correctly (that's Winnt.sif), either it's really a html file that will be ignored by windows setup.
Files in your HFCABS folder:

ADVAUTH.CAB

AOLSUPP.CAB

GSETUP95.CAB

GSETUPNT.CAB

HELPCONT.CAB

IECIF.CAB

IEDATA.CAB

IEMIL_1.CAB

IEMIL_2.CAB

IEMIL_3.CAB

IEMIL_4.CAB

IE_EXTRA.CAB

MOBILE95.CAB

MOBILENT.CAB

actsetup.CAB

axa.cab

axa3.cab

crlupd.cab

AFAIK These files are ignored by HFSLIP and can be removed.

Files in your HF folder:

:woot:

You have 4 useless "Windows2000" updates (i didn't checked each kb #) and 2 "WindowsMedia9".

All seems fine for IE6, OE6, MDAC, rootsupd, scripten.

You should check you list and compare with this topic ; or TomCat's site.

++