Remot Desktop

shades2334

When i use remote desktop to log into a remote computer, it will log the remote computer off, so i can run on my "home" machine. when i log off, the remoted comptuer is still logged off. I was wondering if there was a way that the remote machine logs back in when i log off. there is a password on the remote machine that i would like to keep there. any suggestions?

not sure what you mean by "home machine", but when you log into a remote computer you have to use a user account with a password, either a local account or a domain account (if applicable).

When you initiate the remote connection (to an XP computer), it will only log-off the current user if you are logging in with different credentials than the currently logged in user. If you log in with the same username/password that is currently logged in, you simply transfer the session to the remote terminal. When you are finished with the remote session, you can either log off or disconnect. If you disconnect, the current user (the one you've been using for the remote session) will stay logged on locally to the computer--but the screen will be locked, requiring a username/password to unlock the system and resume the session locally.

If you are refering to a way to not have the system locked after terminating the remote session, then I'm affraid I don't have a solution for that.

not sure what you mean by "home machine", but when you log into a remote computer you have to use a user account with a password, either a local account or a domain account (if applicable).

When you initiate the remote connection (to an XP computer), it will only log-off the current user if you are logging in with different credentials than the currently logged in user. If you log in with the same username/password that is currently logged in, you simply transfer the session to the remote terminal. When you are finished with the remote session, you can either log off or disconnect. If you disconnect, the current user (the one you've been using for the remote session) will stay logged on locally to the computer--but the screen will be locked, requiring a username/password to unlock the system and resume the session locally.

If you are refering to a way to not have the system locked after terminating the remote session, then I'm affraid I don't have a solution for that.

by home machine, i mean the machine i use to log onto the remote computer.

and yes i want to have the system not locked after terminating the remote session. There is only one user on the remote machine.

something like VNC thats logs directly into the console session would be better for this, only its not as good as RDP, i find it slower but give a go and see what you think :) it uses TCP port 5900

thanks

I've used Tools4ever's AdminMagic before. It will cost you, but it works really well. Basically opens a "remote control" session on the remote desktop, so both the local and remote user can be logged in at the same time--a great feature if trying to troubleshoot problems for users in a different physical location. It's been a while since I've used it, but I believe you can login and logoff remotely transparently to the local user.

AdminMagic