Have anyone boot WinPE 2.0 to RAM from HDD?

Br4tt3

Hi guys!

When using the "old" WinPE 2005, one can create an .iso file, place it in the root of the c: driver, change the ntldr (for WinPE setupldr.bin) and ntdetect.com (for WinPE ntdetct.com) and then create a .sif file which contained:

[setupData]

BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"

BootPath = "\i386\System32\"

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /INRAM /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=winpe2005.iso"

Architecture = "i386"

and then of u go...

However, WinPE 2.0 I cant get to work. If I create a WinPE 2.0 .iso file (which contains a .wim inside) I cant seem to map the entries correctly to the new image. I have tried to change the BootPath entry to "\Boot" and "\Sources" and lastly "" but no luck... also tried to change the Architecture entry to "x86" and a combination of them but it wont work.

If I take the same WinPE 2.0 .iso file and use it in a virtuell machine and try to boot of it as an ordinary CD (.iso image) it works just fine. So there is nothing wrong with the .iso file, just how to point out how to boot of it when booting from the harddrive.. the winpe.chm for WinPE 2.0 is not exactly a 100% perfect right now.

Any suggestions or clues?

P.S 1 more day until .se are getting owned in the global fussball tournament

I just made a HD boot, but not certain if it is a RAM-disk version.

suppose \\harddisk1\partition1 is D:, then

1. format D: /FS:NTFS /q

2. c:\opk\tools\x86\bootsect /nt60 D:

3. copy c:\opk\tools\x86\bootmgr D:\

4. xcopy c:\opk\tools\x86\boot d:\ /s

5. md d:\sources

6. copy boot.wim d:\sources

unless you have a way to mount the ISO image you woould have to unpack the PE to a temp folder first to run the image

Thats true... the way to point/mount the .iso (described above) that worked with WinPE2005 just doesnt do it with WinPE 2.0 and when speaking with MS they say that it should not work either... it is just that it is wiered that they removed such a power feature as it enables you to automatically/schedule reinstall a computer without a user having to insert a CD/DVD or pressing F12. In other words, the same way they use their own SMS/OSD kit to perform ZTI (Zero Touch Installations).... and I have tried the way to copy the content as described by Jungle_Warrior, but then again, manual labour sux.

Credit goes to Johan Arwidmark - Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Setup/Deployment:

-----------------Install WAIK on a machine (server)----------------------

- Copy the folder "boot" from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 on the server to the client c: root

- Create a folder named C:\Sources on the client

- Copy the file winpe.wim from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 on the server to the directory C:\Sources on the client (change the name of the file to boot.wim)

- Copy the file bootmgr from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 on the server to the root of the C: drive of the client

- Install Windows Vista Boot loader by running command: bootsect.exe /nt60 c:

- Reboot the client and it will now boot WinPE 2.0 into RAM of the client

Note: Bootsect.exe can be found in the C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 directory.