Generating SSL Certificates On Web Edition

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has had experience with this, basically i have been assigned a task to see if it is possible to create an ssl certificate for another company, ill explain better below:

can i generate a CSR for securing their OWA site and instead of sending it to Thawte or verisign to sign can i sign it myself using our web server running Server 2003 Web Edition?

i know and understand that if its possible the clients will recieve an error as we are not a trusted CA but i would like to know if its possible.

thanks very much :)

Sorry mate, this won't go on a web edition server, quoted from MS: Note: Neither Certificate Services nor Web enrollment support is enabled on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. You can however have your own Certificate rootserver, there will be a message saying to the user that the certificate is unsigned but you can circumvent that by configuring your company as a trusted certificate source - i dont remember exactly where though -

The following doc can help you out on how to create certificates for your site on web edition,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn.../webenroll.mspx

Edited by Zartach

hey! thats fantastic, exactly what i was looking for, the only reason i said web edition is cause i heard someone mention in the past that web edition generates SSL certificates from CSR's, well i guess they were wrong lol

thanks for the help i really appreciate it :thumbup

Ok having read through that iv established that its only possible to create SSL certificates for servers in your domain is this correct?

if so can anyone just verify for me if what i am attempting to do is possible? just to recap....

i want to sign somebody else's CSR basically to create an SSL certificate, is it possible?

Edited by eyeball