Noob Dell Insp 6400 / RIS Flat

Ok, I've setup RIS and used the RIS Server wizard to copy over the XP Cd.

I've created a sif file (shown below).

I've created a directory $OEM$ at my \Remote Install\Setup\English\Images\WinXP32\

I've created a directory under $OEM$ called $1

I've created a directory under $1 called Drivers

I've created a directory under Drivers called NIC - and placed the Inspiron 6400 driver files (.sys and .inf) there.

I boot the laptop to PXE and select the SIF file I want to run. It starts then I get told "The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network adaptor."

I've tried everything I can think of and searched for and yet have not been able to resolve this.

Any thoughts?

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates = YES

AutoPartition = 1

MsDosInitiated = 0

UnattendedInstall = Yes

OemDrivers = OemInfFiles

[unattended]

Unattendmode = FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch = YES

OemPreinstall = YES

OemPnPDriversPath = drivers\NIC

OemSkipEULA = YES

TargetPath = WINDOWS

Filesystem = ConvertNTFS

DUDisable = YES

Hibernation = NO

WaitForReboot = NO

NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

Repartition = YES

[GuiUnattended]

TimeZone = 035

AdminPassword = ...

EncryptedAdminPassword = Yes

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OEMSkipRegional = 1

AutoLogon = No

[userData]

FullName = "Technology Department"

OrgName = "The Epstein School"

ComputerName = *

ProductKey = ....

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 32

Xresolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[iEPopupBlocker]

AllowedSites=www.epsteinatlanta.org

[setupMgr]

DistFolder=C:\windist

DistShare=windist

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition=Yes

[OSChooser]

Description="Windows XP Pro 32bit - Epstein Installation - Template 11:53"

Help="This will install Windows Professional in an Epstein configuration."

LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType=Flat

The $OEM$\$1\Drivers\NIC path is for OEM-based GUI drivers (ie the drivers needed after text setup)

You need to copy the *.inf, *.sys, & *.cat NIC driver files directly under the I386 folder of your image. Other drivers such as Video, Audio, GUI NIC go under the $OEM$ path

Once done, run a "net stop binlsvc" and "net start binlsvc" on your RIS server so that it will re-read the NIC driver settings.

Sweet - that works. LOL.

Okay but now I'm confused...I was under the impression that doing a flat image(OS Install) that I could use it for multiple types/configurations of hardware.

If I copy the NIC inf/sys into I386, some of my NIC drivers use the same filenames (but diff hardware).

Any options?

What you had in post #1 was correct, but you need to additionally place the .inf and .sys file in i386 and restart the BINL service. The drivers in $OEM$\$1\Drivers\NIC should be the total driver set, including files other than .inf and .sys. At a bare minimum you would want to have any .cat files in there.

Cool. So int he drivers directories I would put all the gui setup.exe type files as well? And this would be for Video/audio/etc as well? How do they get installed? I noticed the video is only a .exe and .cfg file.

Cool. So int he drivers directories I would put all the gui setup.exe type files as well? And this would be for Video/audio/etc as well? How do they get installed? I noticed the video is only a .exe and .cfg file.

Search the forum for this....

U dont want the .exe file to run the installation of a device normally. This is because the Win32 PnP functionality will only be able to scan .inf and .sys and map them to a device. So what u need to do is to extract the .exe installer and u will get the .sys & .inf eventually, once u have them, u can reference them from the $OEM$\... structure and list them in ur .sif. The missing link in evolution is the NIC drivers. U also need to place them in the root of i386 folder as well as in the $OEM$ ( just like Rouge is stating.. ) structure if they are míssing...

good luck to u...

Technically speaking, for the PnP enumerated setup of a device in the GUI portion of setup, the only files you need are those that are defined in the .inf file. I just felt that might be a topic that could wait for later as it can be a little more advanced.

If you'd like to see what files are needed for a particular device, you might want to check out Bashrat the Sneaky's DriverPack LAN. Decompress the 7-zip archive and navigate your way to the directory that supports your NIC. The support page for DP LAN contains a listing of all supported drivers and which directory in the DP they reside in.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so I have a full functional RIS setup with a .sif file. It installs XP on the target Dell machine with the languages as I want them. Now what? How can I and is there an easy to follow guide on how to have all? of the drivers (video/audio/wireless/etc) install silently/automatically?

I've read alot on the forums and haven't seen a clear way to get this done-or did I miss something?

thanks for all of the help - this board has really helped me confront the RIS challenge. ;-)

going with the above reply. Can I use nLite to install all the update packs and drivers - have it create the ISO and use the ISO as the basis for RIS to create the flat install setup?

Can I add more then 1 model of drivers? Insp6400, GX520, GX280, etc? on one CD?

I use RISULT to add the update packs & BTS Driver packs.. the only problem is that the new BTS driver pack dosent currently work with risult.

Rougspear has got a tool call autoris which does the same as RISULT but again i dont think this is working with the new BTS driver packs.