have RIS answer file copy down & run locally

is there a way of doing this..?

Basically i need to do a workgroup install but as the sif file is on a domain server on the final reboot it loses connection to the sif file & therfore dosent set the firewall & other settings.

i need to be able to copy the sif file during the ris install & for the machine to look at this local copy. i can copy it down via $OEM$ but how do i link to this local copy.

Dont u have a local copy when running the normal install?

deafult for a flat risetup install, the .sif file is copyied down to the local machine. The Win32 setup only reads inital info from .sif during the blue screens, then the .sif is located in the and named c:\windows\system32\$winnt$.inf. (removes the password and stuff... or atleast, so they are on mine RIS installations - Win2003 RIS & WinXP Clients)

to answer ur question, I am convienced u must be utilizing some kind of intermediate boot OS. Once u have copied the .sif down locally, u will have to kick the installation from within that boot OS (WinPE or BartPE) or I dont know how u would link the install to a "new" answer file..

-_-

if what you are saying about the sif file copying down as the $winnt$.inf that would be fine..

But when I do a workgroup install why does it not see the answers in the local inf file after XP is installed & it does the reboot. The only explanation i have is that it looks at the sif file on the server and cannot access this any more as the machine is no longer authenticated on the domain.

Any one else got any ideas?

Edited by chiners_68

hmm... dunno, but just for pure joy, I just reinstalled a box using RIS, when the install passed the reboot from the 16-bit phase, i shutdown my RIS server which was servicing the machine, and the installation still finished correctly.... however, that machine was set to join the domain.