Looking for Software

Sarah Beth

i am looking for a software program that will allow me to take an existing Word Doc and transfer it to an HTLM doc. i know this can be done through Word but when you go to edit the doc the tabs jump all over the place. i want a program that will keep the tabs and formatting the way the look when it is a Word Doc. Any suggestions?

I dont know of any program that takes a word document and saves it as html that keeps the exact layout. The problem, in my mind, is that tab spacing can be setup differently from software to software, and can vary from 4 spaces to 8 spaces.

In html only the first space character is recognised and the rest are discarded (hence the reason for   being used as this is recognised as a space that should be displayed). the only thing I can think of is to replace the tab characters with   commands

I think word uses 8 spaces for a tab, which means all tabs should be replaced with

(10 space commands as the spacing in word and in html are narrower. It could be more but give it a try)

AFAIK, Word can save a document directly to an HTML page. I'm saying that it can - I do NOT recommend using it for the long run. The HTML that Word generates is just horrible, and I can guarantee you that if you keep using it, you'll find that it doesn't look the same in all browsers.

Just as a comparison, I re-wrote this page for my boss (yes - that's him) a couple of months ago. The original document was made in Word and saved as HTML. It's size was 14KB, and there were some WIERD rendering bugs in Firefox. The new document, which is plain and simple HTML, looks the exact same and is only 6KB. Not only do you make a smaller file (faster download), but the code is easier for you to update later.

If the document isn't too long (and doesn't have a complicated layout), then I'd suggest just taking a little time (a few hours is all it takes) to read up on HTML. There's a very good tutorial and resource here.

the document i mainly work with is a specification for constructing custom homes. what we did was create a template in word and saved it as a web page. the document is usually about 12-15 pages long and has a slitghly complicated layout. i have been doing some research on Frontpage & dreamweaver but now i am not sure if either of those will really solve the problem. i checked the code and it shows the   for the tabs but they still move around and this requires that i go through and reformat the document evertime i need to send it out to a customer. maybe this info can help someone to help me.

thanks.

stressed out & confused

Sarah, can you be more specific about how the design is input. it is possible to create a dynamic web page using php, perl (cgi), java (jsp) or vbscript(asp) which will create the page for you.

Is the final layout the same or does it differ for each customer and if it changes for each customer what changes are made in the document layout for different customers?

The reason i ask this is, that if the final layout remains the same then its a simple task to change the information in the page, but if the page layout differes the script must take int poaccount the layout changes and why the changes are made.

below is an exapmle of the doc i am talking about. i can't figure out how to link the doc directly so i this helps. thanks for your help i really appreciate it.

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

FOR

STANDARD CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS

>Customer Names<

>Customer Address, City, State, Zip Code< JOB NO. >nnn<

1. PERMITS: All normal permits are included:

a. Building and occupancy permit

b. Title 5 permit

c. Old King's Highway "Certificate of Appropriateness" if required

d. If variances or conservation approvals are required, costs will be the responsibility of the Owner

2. ENGINEERING & PLANS:

a. Standard engineering to include the following:

1. Topographical Survey, research and perc test

2. Site and Sewage Plan (with up to one Owner requested revision before staking)

3. Construction staking including lot corners (one staking included)

4. Certified foundation plan

5. House plans with Owner's changes

b. If additional staking for the house or additional revisions are requested, the costs will be the responsibility of the Owner.

3. CLEARING: All clearing for house, plus twenty feet around, the driveway and septic

system is included, as per plans by D-M Engineering, dated__________.

*It is understood that the Contractor, in his work, needs certain minimum distances from the building to complete the work in order to allow the appropriate machinery to the work. It is also necessary on sloped lots to clear where grading is necessary which may result in an extra clearing expense to the Owner included in the costs is the clearing necessary to re-grade the lot as per the Site Plan. If the Owner desires certain trees to remain, it is the responsibility of the Owner to identify said trees prior to construction and determines with the Contractor if they can remain. Also, wooded lots many times contain dead trees and branches. If they are in the normal area to be cleared, the Contractor will remove them. If the Owner requests additional clearing outside the work area, there will be an additional charge.

4. EXCAVATION: All excavation; backfill finish grade with existing on-site materials

(additional cost for extra fill or loam brought in and for removal of undesirable material

and replacement with clean material), as per plans by D-M Engineering, dated__________. Any rocks encountered over 2 cubic yards in the excavation, driveway and septic area will result in an additional cost for excavation and billed to the Owner.

5. FOUNDATION:

a. Walls: 8" thick and 7'6" tall (except garage 3'9" when optional garage selected)

continuous poured concrete 2,500 PSI 3/4" stone with two #5 rebar top and

bottom.

b. Footing: lally pads 30" x 30" x 10" poured concrete and wall footings are 16" x 9" poured concrete. Footings are 2,500 PSI 3/4" stone.

c. Concrete floors: 4" thick 4,000 PSI, 3/4" stone over 6 mil poly under

d. Sill Anchors: steel anchors installed 6’ O.C.

e. Basement sash: Fenetress vinyl frame with white PVC sash w/removable screen (quantity as per plan).

f. Waterproofing: Black Shield foundation coating.

g. Wooden steps to basement: stringers 2” x 12” spruce, treads 2” x 10” spruce.

h. Lally columns: 3 1/2" round steel columns filled with concrete.

i. Bilco bulkhead "C", steel door 6'0" long, 4'7" wide, 17 1/2" installed over poured concrete walls, use Trex as anchor for bulkhead.

6. SEPTIC SYSTEM: A Title 5 septic system is included provided the conditions in the leaching area are consistent with test hole #___ as per plans by D-M Engineering, dated ______________. If unfavorable soils or conditions exist the cost to upgrade will be passed on to the Owner.

6. FRAME:

a. Structural lumber: construction grade spruce, size and spacing as per plan. All sizes and dimensions to meet Massachusetts Building Code.

b. 2x4 wall construction.

c. Sill plate: 2x6 pressure treated sill with seal insulation between concrete wall.

d. Joist hangers: used when necessary by code.

e. Floor joists: I joists with LVL main girt.

f. Subfloor material: 3/4" T & G plywood nailed and glued with PL400 construction adhesive.

g. Wall sheathing: 1/2" plywood, CDX grade.

h. Roof sheathing: 1/2" plywood, CDX grade.

i. Roof shingles: CertainTeed, Seal King, organic asphalt 3 tab shingles, 25 year rated over 15 lb. felt.

j. Exterior wall siding:

1. Front: 1/2" x 6" preprimed red cedar clapboards, 4" to weather. Smooth side out.

2. Sides and Rear: white cedar, premium clear grade shingles, approx. 5" to weather

k. Building paper: 15 lb. felt behind all joints, with Typar house-wrap.

l. Gable vents: wooden louvers, as per code.

a. M. Soffit vents: continuous aluminum.

8. EXTERIOR TRIM:

a. Window trim: none, Andersen windows.

b. Corner boards: 1x5 #2 pre-primed pine.

c. Door trim: 1x5 pre-primed pine.

d. Rake boards: 1x8 #2 pre-primed pine.

e. Rake moulding: 1x3 #2 pre-primed pine.

f. Fascia board: 1x8 #2 pre-primed pine.

g. Plancher board: 1x8 #2 pre-primed pine.

h. Frieze board: #2 pre-primed pine, size depends on style of plan.

i. Frieze moulding: 1 1/4" bed moulding.

9. ELECTRICAL: Owner walk through with electrician at the completion of framing.

a. 100 amp overhead service up to 50' from house to Nstar termination. Underground service additional cost.

b. ITE, panels and breakers, 30 breaker panel.

c. Leviton or equivalent ivory or white outlet devices. Switches are quiet type.

d. Copper wire, type NM/B used on general lighting circuits and outlets. Service cable is SEU aluminum wire. Range wire is 8/3 SEU copper wire.

e. Outlet boxes: Union, Raco, Steel City and Slater.

f. Smoke detectors: BRK” 2002 RAC (photo) and #4120 Ion or equal to (as per code) powered, wired direct with battery back up as per Version 6 of Massachusetts State Code.

g. Light fixtures: $350.00 allowance for light fixtures from Ford Diamond Electric to be chosen by Owner at Contractor’s cost.

h. Exterior:

1. Front door light -- wall fixture (one)

2. Back, side and other exterior lights -- wall fixture (one at each egress)

i. Interior:

1. Foyer light -- ceiling fixture (one)

2. Hall/s light -- ceiling fixture (by code)

3. Kitchen center light -- ceiling fixture (one)

4. Kitchen sink light -- ceiling fixture (one)

5. Dining room light -- ceiling fixture (one)

6. Bath over sink light -- wall fixture (one each bath)

i. Closet lighting: Master bedroom if walk in closet only, fixture from allowance.

j. Electric 220v dryer outlet and flexible 4" venting to exterior (gas dryer hook-up extra charge).

k. Bath ceiling exhaust fan/light: Nutone Model 8663RF (100 CFM) fan/light in baths except one fan to meet Energy Star specifications with automatic switch if necessary.

l. Basement lighting: Leviton porcelain light fixtures one Keyless #9875-2 switched and the rest are pull-chain #9816-C (quantity depends on size of basement).

m. Outlets for overhead door openers, operator button wiring and one general GFI outlet and one switched porcelain light fixture included in garage (when optional garage selected). Installation of garage door openers is not included

n. Two outside weatherproof outlets.

o. Front door chime, chime and button included.

p. Two general outlets provided in basement.

q. Pre-wiring for television and telephone, two outlets each will be provided with CAT5 and RG6 homes runs. Wiring at panel for final connection to utilities and final utility connections for the telephone company and the cable company are the responsibility of the Owner

r. Laundry Closet: 4' florescent light with switch when plan includes laundry closet.

s. Attic: porcelain light fixtures with switch as per code included

t. Provide wiring for future post lamp at front door switch and junction box in basement only (trench, wiring and installation of post lamp additional cost).

u. Provide power for dehumidifier near condensate pump for heating system in basement.

v. Low voltage wiring for hot water heater and furnace included.

*Any light fixtures requiring excessive assembly time will be charged to the

Owner

*The Contractor is not responsible for damaged light fixtures supplied by

Owner.

*The Contractor reserves the right not to install any fixture which does

not conform to current Massachusetts electrical codes or in his opinion is

unsafe.

*The Contractor is not responsible for light fixture bulbs.

*Kitchen, bath, basement and garage general outlets are GFI protected outlets

and are meant for general use and not for heavy duty use such as refrigerators,

freezers or heavy duty power tools, except standard heavy duty refrigerator

outlet. If outlets are required for this type of use please advise.

10. PLUMBING:

a. Plumbing fixtures:

aa. Kitchen:

1. Sink: Dayton, single bowl, stainless steel sink, 4-holes.

2. Faucet: Kohler, Coralais, K-15253, 8”o.c., w/spray, polished chrome

bb. Baths:

1. Lav: Kohler, Pennington, K-2196-4, Vitreous china, self rimming lavs, white

2. Lav faucet: Kohler, Coralais, K-15241-7, 4” o.c., polished chrome.

3. 5’ tub/shower unit: Kohler, Lakewood, K-1685/86 one piece fiberglass, white or 4’ shower unit: Kohler, Cancun K-1597/98 one piece fiberglass

4. Tub/shower controls and trim: Kohler, Coralais, K-KT15601-4 polished chrome or shower control/trim: Kohler, Coralais, K-KT15611-4 polished chrome w/K- 304K valve

5. Toilet: Kohler, Wellworth, K-3423 with round bowl, low consumption 1.6 gallon flush, white.

b. General:

aa. Waste and venting pipes to be schedule 40 PVC.

bb. Domestic water pipes: Type L copper pipes and fittings.

cc. Two Mansfield frost-free outside hose faucets, one in front and one in rear.

dd. Town water hook-up up to $1,000.00 allowance.

ee. Washer hookup: Laundry in basement or as per plan.

ff. Hot water maker: Super-stor Contender SSC-50, indirect 50 gallon hot water

maker.

gg. Gas piping for boiler included.

hh. Rough plumbing for irrigation system ****ADD ONLY IF SELECTED****

Gas piping for (gas stove or dryer) included ****ADD ONLY IF SELECTED****

11. HEATING: FHW by gas

a. Gas boiler and hot water heater - cast iron, hot water boiler, "Weil McLain GV Gold" series boiler. Sizing of equipment will be governed by the amount of BTU's needed to maintain 70 degrees indoors with outdoor temperature of 0 degrees.

b. Thermostats: April Aire programmable

c. Heating pipes: type M copper

d. All exposed heating and hot water pipes in basement will be insulated with foam insulation

e. Circulator: TACO model 007

f. Zone valves: TACO model 570-2

Location of zones: Zone 1: first floor

Zone 2: second floor (two story homes only)