DOS application authentication problem on window server 2003 RC2

Hi there,

What happens is when a client machine (windows xp) goes to print out an invoice I get the following error.

The password is invalid for \\SERVER01\ACCOUNTS

Enter the user name for `SERVER01`:

Heres an example.

error.jpg

The user can print to the printer \\SERVER01\ACCOUNTS through windows no problems.

Now the thing is if i add the user to the Admin group in Active Directory it works fine and doesnt ask for a username and password in DOS.

My problem is I dont know what rights i have to assign to the users policy so that he is allowed to access \\SERVER01\ACCOUNTS to print.

Im also not sure if the error means the user cant access \\SERVER01 or \\SERVER01\\ACCOUNTS.

Are there any logs that can tell me whats happenning so I can troubleshoot?

Any Sugguestions or ideas would be great.

Thanks

Eric

If you go to the %windir%\system32\spoo\printers folder, you should see your printer "shares" - what are the permissions for that user on the folder, and what happens if you add that user with "full" control?

I dont know if this program can use usernames and passwords but that printer on the server is not accesible by anyone, you need to authenticate. You can if the program allows you specify the proper username and password for the printer. Or change the permissions on the server so that the object 'everyone' has print rights.

Hope it helps,

You could also get a network trace from the machine and reproduce the issue to make sure it's an access denied (0x80004005 is the hex for it) - ethereal or netmon should show you if that is truly the case (and my guess would be yes).

It works from the Windows GUI and not from the Command shell within the same Windows session? Then try a persistent mapping on LPT1 to the print UNC path and configure the DOS app to use LTP1 as default printer.