not enough storage is available to process this command

Hello everybody

I have the following problem with my Windows 2000 PRO PL (SP4, 1 GB RAM).

I have CAT (Computer Aided Translation) application that "crashes" when opening its binary database (1.8 million records) and I can see this error message "not enough storage is available to process this command" in Polish in its status bar.

The same application and database opens smoothly on my laptop (only 512 MB RAM) without any error messages.

I tried so hard to do something with it, as my work is almost impossible.

I tried the trick described in Click here to see, but unfortunately I cannot find those keys in my registry.

I increased paging file size, and opened another page file on my second physical HDD. And still nothing.

Does anybody know, how to handle this problem? Maybe I have to change something in the registry, but I'm not an expert in this matter.

Thanks a lot for any help and tips.

Grzegorz

Are you getting any 2019s or 2020s in your system event log? Also, are you using the /3GB or /PAE options in your boot.ini file?

As a quick relief, you can try the following settings to REALLY beef up the kernel pagedpool resource, but if you're getting 2019s (kernel nonpaged pool) you're probably SOL. Poolmon can be used to determine which tag is using up your resources in kernel, but the amount of RAM will have little to do with the error message you're getting.

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Value: PoolUsageMaximum

Type: REG_DWORD

Radix: Decimal

Data: 20

Value: PagedPoolSize

Radix: Hex

Data: FFFFFFFF

Value: SystemPages

Hello, thanks a lot for your help.

Are you getting any 2019s or 2020s in your system event log? Also, are you using the /3GB or /PAE options in your boot.ini file?

Are 2019 or 2020 an error code numbers?

Could you also tell me, where can I find a system log file?

Please find below my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

And that's all.

As a quick relief, you can try the following settings to REALLY beef up the kernel pagedpool resource, but if you're getting 2019s (kernel nonpaged pool) you're probably SOL. Poolmon can be used to determine which tag is using up your resources in kernel, but the amount of RAM will have little to do with the error message you're getting.

What is SOL?;)

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Value: PoolUsageMaximum

Radix: Decimal

Data: 20

Value: PagedPoolSize

Value: SystemPages

Regarding those keys above: should I try to change the values or something?

I don't to crash my system at all.

Anyway, I still cannot find above value in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.

The values I can find, are as follows:

autodisconnect

enableforcedlogoff

enablesecuritysignature

Guid

Lmannounce

NullSessionPipes

NullSessionShares

requiresecuritysignature

Size

Maybe I do something wrong?

Sorry for my stupid questions, by I'm really not familiar with system issues.

Still thanks a lot for your answer.

PS. I cannot add a registry content screenshot (JPG file). Can I send it via e-mail?

Edited by ramirez2001

Are 2019 or 2020 an error code numbers?

Could you also tell me, where can I find a system log file?

Yes, 2019 is an event code to indicate a failed attempt to allocate memory from the nonpaged pool, 2020 is a failure to allocate memory from the paged pool.

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer - select the System log on the left and the events are listed on the right.

Hint: If you click on the column heading "Event" you can sort it by event ID instead of date, that makes it easier to look for 2019 or 2020

Please find below my boot.ini file:
[No /3GB or /PAE switches present.]
Regarding those keys above: should I try to change the values or something?

I don't to crash my system at all.

The keys cluberti mentioned can be added to instruct the system to try to allocate as much as it can (up to a hard limit) for paged pool and system PTEs, and to be much more aggressive with trimming the pool (threshold set to 20% instead of the default 80%).

If you are getting 2020 events it could be worth adding those values, they don't exist by default.

Note, the problem you are getting is not due to the page file size - if Windows runs out of virtual memory entirely then you get popup alerts from the OS itself as that is really bad news.

Unfortunately "not enough storage" messages can translate to insufficient memory of several types, ephemeral TCP ports or it could be a bogus error because nothing else fits.

Does the error occur as soon as you launch the app, or after a couple of minutes, or specifically when you attempt to attach to the database?

Do the authors of the application have anything to say? They would be the best people to ask if Windows isn't reporting any resource shortages, and no other apps are affected...

I second Mr Snrub's question of "what does the application vendor say"? Anything opening a file of that size will definitely be a candidate for... issues... on a 32bit system.

Have you ever considered Windows XP x64 for that application? That's a large file, and Mr Snrub is right - you could very well be running out of epheneral ports too :).

Hello, I'm back.

I have added those values to my registry, but this had changed nothing.

This application works normally with other smaller databases and opens with no problems or errors.

The database that displays the message, is 1.8 mlillion records, 500 MB. The CAT (COmputer Aided Translation) application is SDL Trados 2006.

The same application + this confusing database on my laptop works properly and smoothly (still WIn2000PRo+SP4), no messages or something.

Maybe I could compare some registry keys/values, export them from laptop registry and import them to PC registry?

The only problem is that I'm not Windows registry expert :)

Of course, I also notified Trados support, I did all they wrote me (only stupid things - not working at all), but still nothing.

If you - Cluberti and Mr Snrub - could help me a lil bit, I can fix this problem without "format c:"?

Thanks a lot for ypur help and looking forward for your posts.

Grzegorz

Hello.

There are no entries in a system log (no 2019 and 2020).

The only one I found, was an entry in an application log: warning entry, from WinMgmt with code 1.

And another weird thing: yesterday this database worked!!!

But today it is impossible;)

I will try to use this database today, maybe I get some entries in the system/application log.