MSOE.DLL will not initiate Outlook Express

Leeherr

Your help would be appreciated!

I can no longer open my outlook express. Each time I try, I get one message that refers to memory and something called (0x8007000E)

and another message that says "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may be intalled incorrectly."

I've deleted Outlook Express and re-installed it twice. I get the same message each time I try to open it.

Any suggestions??

Your help would be appreciated!

I can no longer open my outlook express. Each time I try, I get one message that refers to memory and something called (0x8007000E)

and another message that says "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may be intalled incorrectly."

I've deleted Outlook Express and re-installed it twice. I get the same message each time I try to open it.

Any suggestions??

Some other e-mail programs know how to import mail from Outlook.

I think Thunderbird (which may be found at {url]http://www.mozilla.com/

is such a program. If that works, you probably won't need Outlook again.

in my opinion, Thunderbird is a horrible replacement for Outlook Express.

Thunderbird cant seem to join multiple posts or thread the way OE does.

the way Thunderbird handles newsgroups seems to be the same dated way that Netscape 2.x worked. the fact that its been such a very long time, and they havent fixed up the news reader is sad.

OE is more than just a mail client. it handles mail pretty well, does newsreading better than a lot of other apps. Thunderbird never offered me anything more than what i get with OE, but it certainly had noticable shortcomings that turned me off to it right away.

"Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may be intalled incorrectly."

This is a familiar error message to me. Not likely the same scenario, but when you use 98lite, beware of the following:

Due to some interactions not fully understood, something in OE can easily get corrupted yielding this complaint. Somehow 98lite ticks off something in the O/S such that the Outlook Express hotfixes, going all the way back to Q330994 through just about every OE rolled-up update since, will yield that complaint.

Here is how to fix it in this situation, and perhaps it will work for the present complaint as well:

You have to completely remove IE. In 98lite, that's a standard feature. The freeware version from litepc.net is IEradicator and will do the same job.

If you are a 98lite user, there exists the so-called SLEEK and MICRO shell choices. If this is the case, you have to create a patched copy of the file LOADWC.EXE that links to SHELL32.W98 instead of SHELL32.DLL. If you are not a 98lite user, or a user of 98lite CHUBBY or OVERWEIGHT shell choices, then the solution is the same as for a non-98lite situation.

Install IE 6.0 SP1 with OE 6 the normal way. Remember, this is over no prior version of IE/OE, that's what IEradicator [or telling 98lite to not install IE] does! Normally, this is an upgrade process, but in this case it is NOT! [And it DOES matter!]

When you are at the end of the install, it asks you to click to restart the computer. If using MICRO or SLEEK, you have to now copy LOADWC.EXE [the one patched] to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM over the one that was put there by the install. Ignore this step otherwise.

Reboot, and IE/OE gets installed [again, this is NOT a re-install, since it has been totally removed; this is a VIRGIN install of IE that can only be compared to installing IE55 over Win95, the last system IE 4.01 or newer was never bundled into, etc.].

Now, the key step: Reinstall IE yet again. Always choose a custom install at this point. Just click on all the components you want, but you must choose at least all the ones in bold [because they were there before the problem!].

This will lead to a message telling you you don't need to reinstall IE. However, it gives you an option to reinstall all of the components. Do this despite the recommendation to the contrary. [Note: In rare cases, only so far seen in WinME, the message doesn't come up on this second IE install attempt; it will come up eventually, and you have to keep reinstalling until it does; the largest case known was it took a total of four installs to get the message, but it eventually does happen; the overwhelming expected value is the second install.]

At this point, IE and OE should completely work, but need a large dosage of Windows Update or equivalent since you now have the 2002 version of IE and OE and no patches. However, all of the updates will install and not corrupt OE which was the original complaint, etc.

Failing to do the reinstall with the message will seem to work, but is guaranteed to fail when you attempt to add any OE update [from Q330994 to the present] again yielding the same exact error message. Thus, this longer remedy is the only complete way to solve the problem.

We don't know how/what gets corrupted in OE, but this method always sets it straight. All of the intuitive but lesser attempts don't work. [Historical note: Q330994 was about the 7th update from Windows Update for IE/OE many months after initial release and all seemed fine until the baffling problem that adding in Q330994 just broke OE. After a lot of false starts, this method was hatched as a permanent solution used to this day to fix broken OE and avoid a system-wide reinstall if all else is fine.]

cjl