[How To] Multi-boot DVD Guide

Hi all :)

I want to let you guys know that I'm working on 2 projects right now, a XP CD and this Multi Boot DVD Guide. The XP CD will help me test some features I want to add to this guide, but I'm not sure if they work, so... testing is needed.

The main goal is to make this an ultimate guide, covering the best methods, tools, and automations.

I'm a fan of simplicity so I'll try to make the guide so making DVDs is as simple and fast as possible.

My future updates will be: nLite, PowerPacker, XPize, WPI (and maybe others), Drivers (BTS's or not), and a FAQ. Hope you guys like it ;)

Anything, just ask :hello:

Hello dunkie12

The problem is very simple... You have DetachedProgram="cmd.exe /c @ECHO something>%SystemDrive%\DTPR.TAG" instead of DetachedProgram="%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c @ECHO something>%SystemDrive%\XPPRO.TAG". Hope it helps

Yup, I realise that - I should have mentioned in my original post, that I had the full path in that you described (IE %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe) however it didn't work that way either - so I changed it to what I have there.

Does it make any difference what the .TAG file is called? I need four of these files in Total, which is why I went for the naming convention that I had...

It's kinda got me stumped, as I pretty much followed your instructions step by step.

Edited by dunkie12

Update:

I've managed to get around some of the missing software by installing the common applications with the RunonceEx method. I still can't get the method described in this thread to work however. I can see the batch scripts executing at the correct stages of setup, but it's still not creating the .tag file as required. I'm now sure that the rest of the setup will work as intended if the .tag file appears.

Edited by dunkie12

Hi :hello:

Hum... It didn't worked? Maybe you deleted cmd.exe with nLite...

Try again, but in the "remove components" option, go to "Advanced" and in the "[Keep Box]" of nLite add "cmd.exe" so it doesn't get deleted.

This is assuming you have used nLite, if you didn't, after installing that source, try looking for the cmd.exe file, maybe it's missing anyway.

Hi :hello:

Hum... It didn't worked? Maybe you deleted cmd.exe with nLite...

Try again, but in the "remove components" option, go to "Advanced" and in the "[Keep Box]" of nLite add "cmd.exe" so it doesn't get deleted.

This is assuming you have used nLite, if you didn't, after installing that source, try looking for the cmd.exe file, maybe it's missing anyway.

Nope, CMD.exe is there... I don't use N-Lite at all - I'm using a completely un-modded windows XP SP2 source, aside from me adding my $OEM$ distribution folders for unattend...

Could there be something in the formatting of the winnt.sif document that I've inadvertantly gotten wrong?

Edited by dunkie12

Bwahahahaha if you were to call me a fool right now you'd be correct...

I've just figured out what's causing my problem -

I put the command into the [unattended] section of winnt.sif instead of [GUIUnattended]... bwahahaha what an id*** I am! hehe

Thanks for your help anyway andregcasal, I appreciate it man!

• 2 weeks later...

Hum... Not sure, but it seems CDShell has a new version and the scripting language may have changed. Try to search for that error at the CHShell site and fórum. If you find anything, please report back :)

The tests i've been conducting on XP are almost over, i'll have a complete guide in 2 or 3 months :P

After I got my DVD working, I managed to perfect the runonceex method using the .TAG files. If you prefer to use runonceex, you can use the same method of searching for the .TAG file to call the correct runonceex script - just have your cmdlines.txt call a batch script that searches for the .TAG file as instructed, and then use the same script to call the desired runonceex batch script. I've got this working perfectly! :thumbup

Yep, that's another simple way to do it ;) I'll had it to the guide, thanks :)

EDIT: The only problem is RunOnceEx runs at first logon, so it requires a reboot after first logon. If the applications installed don't need reboot, then it's actually a nice method :) Without RunOnceEx, all aplications, are installed at the T-13, so the first logon already has everything installed "rebootless" ;) lol

Edited by andregcasal

• 2 weeks later...

How would you incorporate WPI in this process? I like the menu option to install apps after the OS is installed. I would like to have a base WPI folder for all OS's that I install. That way I only have to update one menu. I have not started to create a multiboot yet even though I am going to soon. My other question is can this include Bart PE? That way I can have 1 DVD that has utils from Bart PE and then an option to install Windows XP Pro or Home. Any ideas? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to create my own cdshell.ini based on the example, and tried to make it as simple as possible. But i've get stuck, and now I'm a little bit confused...

boot:
cls
print "\n"
print "Press Enter to boot from DVD... \n"
getkey 5 boot 0x80
if $lastKey == key[enter]; then goto time
# When no key found...
goto boot

# Printing the Interface
menu:
set textColor= color[grey on black]
set boldColor= color[cyan on black]
cls
print c "\n\cXXÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ<\c0B$time $date\cXX>ÄÄ \n\n"
print c "\cXXMicrosoft Windows XP Professional Installation Pack \n\n""
print l "\cXXPress \c0BF1 \cXXfor Help"\n"
print c "\cXXÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ \n\n"
print c " Choose language version: \n"
print "1) Polish\n"
print "2) English\n\n"

print "R) Reboot \n"
print "Q) Quit to Command Prompt \n"
print "ESC) Boot from 1st Harddisk \n"
print c "\n"

MainKey:
getkey 20 boot 0x80
if $lastKey == key[1]; then ???
if $lastKey == key[2]; then ???
if $lastKey == key[q]; then end
if $lastKey == key[r]; then reboot

if $lastKey == key[F1]; then goto Help
if $lastKey == key[esc]; then boot 0x80

Now, what should I put to these two lines, to start installation of the choosed system immedietely?

if $lastKey == key[1]; then ???
if $lastKey == key[2]; then ???

Directory structure:

\DVD\

\DVD\Setup\

\DVD\Setup\XP

\DVD\Setup\XP\PL

\DVD\Setup\XP\EL

\DVD\PRO1

\DVD\PRO2

\DVD\BOOT

(BTW what files should i keep in the 'boot' folder?)