Windows stutters when I scroll

ilgattoazzurro

Hey guys,

I don't know if I've posted in the right place, but I was hoping someone here could please help me.

I had to reinstall windows on my computer the other day, but since doing this, suddenly whenever I scroll a window it always stutters.

It happens on every program, eg Word, Excel, IE, Photoshop, Google Earth... basically everything. It's really annoying because on programs like Excel it only updates one line at a time, and takes ages to use. It happens when scrolling both horizontally and vertically.

Another thing is, if I reduce the size of the window I'm using so that it's as wide as the screen, but quite short (such as 5 rows on excel), it scrolls quickly and perfectly, no stuttering of any sort. I've tried different mouses, but nothing changes.

Does anybody know what could be wrong? Any help would be great, thanks a lot.

You should check you videocard settings and drivers as this can soemtimes cause this kind of behaviour, it did it to me once with one of my old nvidia cards when i used ths standard xp drivers. as soon as i updated with the nvidia ones it worked normally again.

Hey Viper,

I tried what you said, thanks. It now scrolls further down with one movement of the wheel, but it still stutters.

Also, the scroll option was under "wheel", if that makes a difference? I tried it with my laptop touchpad too, and it still scrolls.

Any other suggestions?

You should check you videocard settings and drivers as this can soemtimes cause this kind of behaviour, it did it to me once with one of my old nvidia cards when i used ths standard xp drivers. as soon as i updated with the nvidia ones it worked normally again.

Hey ScubaSteve, thanks for the help. I'm a bit of a dunce though when it comes to stuff like this! Where do I find the settings for my videocard? I've never installed a videocard or anything on my laptop before.