Dilema I could do with some help on..

right, were should I start..

ive got several installations on ris but one I have as a standalone for machines which will not be connected to my domain as they will be offi site. What im trying to do is do a RIS install from my domain site but have the install joinworkgroup.

The problem im having is that as its set to joinworkgroup, on the reboot after installation is complete it loses connection to the RIS server as its not on the domain & therfore loses connection to the answer file.

On the reboot I have to manually click on the firewall & other OOBE options.

I can see i have two options but I need help.

1. find away of getting it to stay on workgroup but see bits on the network to complete the unattended install.

2. get it to join the domain but a script run after installation is complete so it removes the machine from the domain onto a workgroup & restores machine polocies back to std.

what is best & can you givce assistance with the option you mentuion..

I'd say your best option is #2, but make sure that you create these machines in their own OU when you first build them. This will make it easier to block policy inheritance with an empty GPO so they don't get policies applied while on the domain, and will also make purging the accounts much easier if they don't get removed properly when your script removes the machine from the domain (use the netdom.exe tool to remove from the domain, if you can).

ok I can use the netdom remove command but how am I going to get the script to automatically put the computer name of the machine im running it on in so it removes itself..?

i will want to run this in the runonceEX.cmd or other script following this..

There is that... dont you hate it when you forget of something so simple..lol

what is the best tool or way of setting Local Policies as I cannot get an OU created with no polocies applied..

Edited by chiners_68

Create an OU and a GPO, and assign the new GPO to the new OU. Then, block policy inheritance on the new OU, and then only the new (blank) GPO will be applied to machines/users in the OU.