Install Windows XP Home on Dell Dimension 9100

army20

Hello Everyone

I brought a used Dell Dimension 9100 and I'm trying to install Windows XP home edition on it but there is no PS/2 for the mouse and the keyboard, only USB. I have an USB keyboard plugged in and it works when I press any key to boot from the CDROM but as soon as all the drivers are loaded and the minisetup go trought I loose my keyboard and I cannot press ENTER to install Windows.

Anyone have a solution for that ?

p.s. I do not have the original CD from dell but I have an original Microsoft windows XP home edition OEM CD

have you tried hooking up a usb mouse, get you one and that may allow you to continue the install until it enables the usb keyboard again. Either that or the system is actually hanging during the install but you are unable to tell since you have no keyboard or mouse.

I would get a usb mouse. :}

Hi,

I think you need the Dell Restore CD. It would probably install drivers for Mouse and Keyboard support during the install. In my experience computer by Dell, IBM, COMPAQ/HP, etc need to use their windows install CD's to install everything correctly. Check the Dell Website see if you can order one or contact them and tell them what is happening. Maybe they can help.

Ghost Shield

Hi,

I think you need the Dell Restore CD. It would probably install drivers for Mouse and Keyboard support during the install. In my experience computer by Dell, IBM, COMPAQ/HP, etc need to use their windows install CD's to install everything correctly. Check the Dell Website see if you can order one or contact them and tell them what is happening. Maybe they can help.

Ghost Shield

I run a total Dell shop, and the restore cd only installs windows xp, then you have to use the driver cd to install the drivers for the hardware. If he does not have that then he will have to download the drivers.

Computer was brought from ebay and it is still under the name of the original owner so DELL wont let me talk to technical support and wont let me order parts for it.

I don't have the original CDs

Is it possible to ADD manually usb keyboard support driver for installing windows XP ?

The BIOS of the machine give me usb support till it's time to press ENTER to install windows XP, R to repair and Q for quit. Right after when the screen goes blanck for 3-4 secondes after all the drivers required to install windows were loaded.