WinPE 2.0 UFD boot

kukucz

Someone knows how to make WinPE 2.0 bootable usb flah disk ? I try make it with instructions from last WAIK but ofcourse it not working :} (in instruction is not info how apply bootloader). It will be very helpfully for me if enyone have solution how to create this kind of disk, becouse I can easy put on it some extra files and test this new super enviroment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this to work today.

You do everything like the instructions say in the User Guide to make a CD iso file, but rather than make an ISO file...

Create a bootable USB drive. I use the tool from HP. Just make it like you would make a regular DOS bootable USB key.

Then copy these files to your key

1. Bootmgr at the root of the key.

2. The folder Boot and all its contents from the WAIK Tools folder.

3. The folder SOURCES (you create) containing a single file boot.wim that you created for the CD version. (make sure when you create the WIM using the ximage tool that you include the /boot switch as in "ximage /capture /boot c:\path to Winpe folder C:\boot.wim "MyWinPE"" The documentation is missing the /boot switch. I've read that you either need or don't need /compress max. I hear that the default is /compress max so maybe it isn't needed)

Then you run a utility from the tools menu to edit the MBR so that it is looking for BOOTMGR rather than NTLDR or IO.SYS (Win2k, DOS respectively)

the utility is called "bootsect" and it is also in the WAIK tools folder.

Assuming your USB key is the "e:" drive, you would enter the command bootsect /nt60 E: (not positive about the /nt60 - it might be just /n60 do a bootsect /help for exact syntax)

now your USB key will boot and use bootmgr as the bootstrap code.

Probably better looking methods, but this method worked great for me

BDD will be out soon and I'm guessing it is going to make a lot of this very easy with some tools and way way better documentation. Out on June 8th for Beta 2 - I hear.