Network dropping out

grn

Now the next problem- never had so many problems on a re-install before. After managing to 1. download and install IE 6 and then use this to get the WIndows 98 SE critical updates, also downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird as well as a couple of other packages, I'm getting a problem browsing.

From a fresh boot the the browser IE or Firefox gets its home page and maybe one or two pages following that then fails completely and won't even get the home page as if I had no network connection. Now I was getting this problem before the 98 critical updates but it seemed OK at least while I was doing the downloads.

I have a wireless connection to my broadband modem and run Kerio Personal Firewall and AVG anti-virus. The only difference in my config prior ro the re-install (where the netowrk worked fine) was I used McAfee anti-virus. As far as I can seen there is nothing in either of these that is causing the connection to be dropped. I can get the connection back either by re-boot or running ipconfig and releasing and renwing the IP address for the wireless cnnection.

Anbody have any suggestions as to what I can try to cure the problem?

Move closer to the router. Wireless tends to be sensitive to small things like atmospheric pressure and humidity.

What wireless card are you using?

I have this PC setup as a dual boot system and it works fine with XP, it's onlt on Win98 that I'm seeing the problem. Unfortunately I don't have the option of moving closer to the router but the signal strength is good when I get the problems. Before I did the re-install of Windows 98, I did get signal problems but usually this just involved a failure to find a page and a retry would work. This is different altogether - I seem to be losing the link completely. I either have to reboot or run ipconfig to renew the IP address (even though the wireless monitor shows that there is still a connection to the router and the IP address after is always the same).

The card is a Belkin 54g PCI card.

ive had the same thing happen with a linksys wifi-b card. this on top of all the other crap ive delt with useing this card made me order another wifi adapter.

all i can think of is to make sure you have the latest drivers...

Hello,

I had this problem with some netgear cards. Check your drivers and stuff. I found that my wireless router was a bit "special" on bootup and sometimes didnt work properly.

Hope this helps

Ghost Shield

I was using a Netgear card for a while... same symptoms as you described. Eventually I just got 30ft of cat5 and went with a wired connection, since the random disconnections were getting extremely irritating.

Thanks for all the I/P. The annoying thing is it was working fine before I did the re-install so I'm figuring it's something wrong with the install itself. I guess I'll leave it for now until I can get a router into my office and cable it directly, then hopefully the problem will go away. Maybe I'll try and use the unsecured wireless network that I'm picking up ... lol

As an afterthought it is all working fine on the XP system - again a pointer that there is something wrong with the install. I don't really want to go through that again but will if I have to.