issues installing Windows XP from a network share with BartPE

Glass

Hello,

Here's what I am doing:

I have a network share which has the contents of my Windows XP cd. I've been modifying these files with NliteOS/RVM Integrator. I slipstreamed SP2, added RyanVM's update pack as well as a few other application addons, and I made a few tweaks (with nlite os.) I also slipstreamed the NVraid and NVatabus drivers, because those are what my board uses (Nforce4.)

So I created a BartPE disc and everything works fine. I boot the disk and map the network drive with the modified cd contents. I then browse to the mapped net drive and run Setup.exe from the BartPE enviornment. I run through that, then reboot once it's finished. I then load into the Windows installer (the old school dos looking one, with the blue background and yellow progressbar) and it copies the files to the "installation directories."

This is where I run into problems .. the setup says that it cannot copy NVATABUS.SYS. Setup says it can "skip the file" "retry" or "quit"

So, I skip the file, reboot after it finishes copying the file, and when it should be booting the next part of the Windows setup, it blue screens. It's probably because of that driver that failed to copy.

So I need to know from all of you knowledgable people out there, is there some different way I should be doing any of this?

Edited by Glass

Now this story gets even stranger ...

I just did the same process, but I used the vanilla xp installation files (no driver integration, no updates, no service packs, etc.) and it installed and booted ... I am now looking at my Windows desktop ...

what the hell is going on?

Your BSOD is almost assuredly "Inaccessible Boot Device"; this happens when Windows tries to make the switch from real mode into protected mode but does not have a 32 bit driver interface for your boot device.

In this case, when you pressed skip to NVATABUS.SYS, you told it to not copy the system driver file responsible for accessing your (IDE = ATA) hard drive. So, as soon as the kernel enters protected mode, it can no longer access the local drive and it bombs out.

You need to identify why it cannot find that NVATABUS file. Either it's not there, or not in the proper folder structure, or something else. But that's your problem :)

Thanks, I knew that the blue screen was happening because of that driver not being present. I just can't figure out why it won't be copied ...

I integrated it with NliteOS ... and the other drivers (such as audio and ethernet) were successfully copied. It's very strange.

I have noticed when I don't integrate my drivers all at the same time I get those crazy errors when windows is installing (only in the dos portion of the install). I have found that when I integrate all the drivers at the same time I don't get any messages.

And I've seen those kinds of errors (after doing tests on 1000's of servers), when the system RAM has some small problems. Don't know the details of the RAM problem, but just switching out the RAM fixes the problem. I'm not saying this is your problem, just another reason that I have seen those kinds of errors.