Filter Messages with Exchange 2003

Hi There,

We have a ISP service that recieves email from the outside world for us and then forwards it to our internal exchange server. This way we can limit port 25 only from our ISP's mail server. This works well!

Our ISP's SPAM filter tags knowen SPAM by changing the subject of the email to include [spam] at the begining and also adds a "X-Spam-Status: Yes" to the headers.

My question is: Can i tell exchange to delete these messages before delivering to a users mailbox?

Thanks

Simon

Edited by gremin

The built-in Exchange 2003 IMF is not smart enough to be able to do this, but there are 3rd party utilities (and non-Exchange utilities) that can do this as well (and I'm speaking of things like a sendmail mail relay running spamassassin/mimedefang/antivirus to do this sort of thing, to keep the load off of your Exchange FE/BE or SMTP gateway servers).

The built-in Exchange 2003 IMF is not smart enough to be able to do this, but there are 3rd party utilities (and non-Exchange utilities) that can do this as well (and I'm speaking of things like a sendmail mail relay running spamassassin/mimedefang/antivirus to do this sort of thing, to keep the load off of your Exchange FE/BE or SMTP gateway servers).

Yep: Most of our servers here are linux-based, with the exception of our Exchange server... I was just seeing if there was a way to do this on the actual exchange box:

Is there any 3rd-party thing that we can run on the exchange server to solve this?

Or is it easier to just chuck postfix/amavis (etc) on a linux server to deal with it.

Simon

Without looking deeply into it, my guess would be GFI MailEssentials. It blocks most everything that is spam.. spam is completely a non issue on my network. Without testing. GFI does read the mail headers.. I am sure there would be 1 way or another to configure this into it.

Heck.. even if it doesnt find that header.. it will almost definatly catch it with one of its other filters it runs

Without looking deeply into it, my guess would be GFI MailEssentials. It blocks most everything that is spam.. spam is completely a non issue on my network. Without testing. GFI does read the mail headers.. I am sure there would be 1 way or another to configure this into it.

Heck.. even if it doesnt find that header.. it will almost definatly catch it with one of its other filters it runs

Def looks like a good product, i was just wondering if there is an open source product out there that could achieve this.

I'm not aware of anything open-source that would run on Exchange to do this. GFI ME is a great product, but if you're already running Linux pretty heavily, I'd say stick some tools on a few of those and use them as antispam relays.