[Question] Determine what kind of Windows License

macgyver

Hey Guys -

I recently got an IBM laptop. Shortly after I bought a 100gb 7200 rpm hard disk because 60gb wasn't cutting it. On the bottom of my ibm/lenovo laptop there is a ms xp pro key. I want to install windows on the 100gb but I don't want to ghost or clone any of it, I want to start from scratch. I also don't want Ibm to send me cds for 45 bucks.

I have a corp edition of windows xp from work, but I can't use the key on the bottom of my laptop. Is there any way to tell what kind of key it is? and also is there a way to make that key work with my corp edition?

Thanks!

//mark

Do you have a I386 folder on the laptop if so make your own cd with that there will also be winnt.sif file in there with correct serial number and have a look at the SETUPP.INI and look at the pid number you will find info on link below that should tell you what version of xp you have

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Product_IDs

If you can find a copy of the Windows XP Pro CD you can use that media to install the product as long as you use your license code found on the bottom of the laptop. I am not sure if there are differences in the OS between XP Pro and a corporate edition but if there are you would be in violiation of license agreement.

Basically, when you buy software from Microsoft your key is what you need to prove that you are licensed to use the software ... the media is just the tool to put it on your system.

Hope this helps.

mcallisb sums it up quite nicely - you have to use a XP Pro OEM [or possible retail] media CD in order to do what you are after.

Using the XP [Pro] Volume Media CD would be illegal and even if it is possible, such things cannot be discussed on here.

And as you may have guess, the product key on the bottom of the laptop will be a OEM key - so if you can borrow the media [and ony the media] from a friend, you should have no problem using that to install XP on your laptop.

Regards

Nath