Another Quick Launch Taskbar Question

neanderthal

Greetings to all,

I have looked and searched, then I searched and looked, but I can't find the resolution. I cannot move the task bar, or undock it, from the bottom taskbar. I used to have it on the left side of my screen, but it changed back to the bottom and now it's stuck. BTW, the takbars are unlocked.

How are you trying to move it.

I just tried it by unlocking it, then clicking on the toolbar (keeping the left mouse button pressed), then dragging to my right side. It worked. Then I brought it back.

Don't click when you see the up-down arrows - that only resizes it. Click on the empty space of toolbar, then drag it where you want.

I'm trying to make it a floating palette just the way your supposed to ... double sided cursor, etc.

That's what I'm trying to say is that it will not undock from the taskbar.

Edited by neanderthal

Creating a Windows Toolbar

Create a new folder with shortcuts to your applications or shortcuts to folders you commonly use.

If you are already using the OSB you will find Office application shortcuts under \Shortcut Bar\Office in the Office installation path. You can use this folder or copy/move the shortcuts to another folder.

IMPORTANT: Only create shortcuts in the folder - do not move folders or applications!

Right-click an empty area the Windows task bar and select Toolbars | New toolbar…

If you can not find an empty area, use the area to the right of the Windows Start button.

Select the Browse command, navigate to your shortcuts folder and click OK.

You will see your new toolbar appear in the Windows task bar.

Minimize all windows, or click the Show Desktop command in the Quick Launch bar.

Drag your new toolbar off the Windows task bar. You can drag it to an edge of your screen if you want your new toolbar docked.

BINGO! and now read that last sentence in that quote. That's exactly what I cannot do. I dont think I could have explained any clearer than I did in my previous post, so I surmize that nobody here knows the solution to my plight.

I did understand the problem, but to clarify...as far as I know, you can't actually move the "Quick Launch" toolbar (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but you should be able move a toolbar you created as instructed in the link I provided. If this doesn't work than no, I don't think I know a solution to your problem.

I did understand the problem, but to clarify...as far as I know, you can't actually move the "Quick Launch" toolbar (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but you should be able move a toolbar you created as instructed in the link I provided. If this doesn't work than no, I don't think I know a solution to your problem.

yes, you are supposed to be able to undock the QL bar from the task bar. I had it repositioned to the side of my screen, but it's on the task bar and I can't move it. One of M$ updates changed something, i guess. What really surprises me is the number of folks who have read this post and obviously, have no idea. This place was my last chance. I'm defeated, M$ wins.

Neanderthal, I read your original post and it doesn't mention that you were trying to undock the Quick Launch bar. Read it again.

I just tried it on this PC and you can undock the Quick Launch bar on Windows XP.

All I did was unlock taskbar, then positioned mouse to where you can resize it, then drag it to desktop and it was floating. Then I dock to right, then brought it back by positioning mouse over the place where it lets you resize.

See screenshot

qlundocked6ud.th.jpg

Neanderthal, I read your original post and it doesn't mention that you were trying to undock the Quick Launch bar. Read it again.

my mistake ... i assumed that since i entitled the post, "Another Quick Launch Taskbar Question," it would not be necessary to again specify which task bar i was speaking of. it's very nice you can do that, but i can't that is the reason for the post. thanks for your noticeably unhelpful response.

I am assuming that you are trying to move it with the mouse pointer in the correct position? ie. at the end of the panel?

From experience, and testing myself a few moments ago, the bar won't move unless you have the mouse pointer at the edge. So, if you have it on the left hand side, then the mouse will need to be in the top left hand corner of your screen (and the mouse pointer will change shape).

If you are trying to drag it across from the middle of the panel, then it won't work (or at least, doesn't seem to work for me!)

I have to say that it appears everyone thinks i must be a noob. wrong, i've been using PC's since 1985, first in DOS and menus written in basic, then Win 1.1 amd so forth. I have not kept up with the registry and all it's complications, where I suspect my problem lies. i think unless a person with in-depth of the Win XP registry can reply, this thread is at the end.

I too have been a user of a computer for more years than I care to mention (nearly 30 I would say), I have been involved in technical support for the last 20 years, and I have seen so many examples of people who believe that they are doing the right thing, but aren't, and won't accept, until shown, the correct way of doing things.

I am not suggesting that this is the case in this example, however, one thing I have never done, is to reject any help that is offered, even if that proves to be fruitless, pointless, or inconsequential.

At the end of the day, people will respond to the fault that you describe in the best way that they can, with whatever information that they have, and I would accept their kind offers of assistance, rather than just reject or dismiss them out of hand.

I too have been a user of a computer for more years than I care to mention (nearly 30 I would say), I have been involved in technical support for the last 20 years, and I have seen so many examples of people who believe that they are doing the right thing, but aren't, and won't accept, until shown, the correct way of doing things.

I am not suggesting that this is the case in this example, however, one thing I have never done, is to reject any help that is offered, even if that proves to be fruitless, pointless, or inconsequential.

At the end of the day, people will respond to the fault that you describe in the best way that they can, with whatever information that they have, and I would accept their kind offers of assistance, rather than just reject or dismiss them out of hand.

Your right about accepting help when it offered, but I do not see these post as helpful or even relevant to my question. Again, it's obvious that no one here can help me.