Error 'you are not authorized to view this page'

calieth

I have searched every user guide, help file, and forum entry that I can find for this.

I am trying to get into a web host that site that I bought with someone. I can access it from any other computer other than my home one.

When I go to https://ns40.servepower.com:8443/ I get the following error message.

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the ns40.servepower.com:8443 home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Internet Explorer

I have serached the error everywhere and can't find a solution. I have checked all the basic stuff, made sure I accept cookies, etc, etc. Turned my firewall off, turned of most of my Norton. Nothing.

I downloaded another web browser (Firefox) and when I try to get at it from there I get :

Forbidden

You were denied access because:

Access denied by access control list.

This must be from a diferent setting somewhere on my computer. Does anyone have any ideas of how to adjust something to fix this? I need to be able to access my web host from my home computer.

How does the URL operate and what are you using to serve the site? It looks like you denied yourself access to the site. =/

The page works fine but I don't have a login, so I don't know what's supposed to be working.

Edited by Daemonforce

well...if you can access it from another pc besides your home pc....then your home pc is "goofed" up

off hand...i don't know why...

do you have another pc you can try at home?

btw...i got to your link ok..usin firefox

I personally get prompted to accept an SSL certificate before I am allowed to view the site. Perhaps you have an old version of the cert, or you have IE locked down too far to accept the cert?

I can view the page just fine once I click "Yes" in the cert dialog box, on IE 5.5, IE 6.x, and IE7. Didn't try with Firefox yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll work there too...

I would consider turning off friendly errors in IE and then view the page again - at least this time you should get more information, although the error seems to me to be stating that you're not on the ACL for the site - perhaps you need to install their SSL cert into your cert store first, before you'll be allowed access?

well...if you can access it from another pc besides your home pc....then your home pc is "goofed" up

off hand...i don't know why...

do you have another pc you can try at home?

btw...i got to your link ok..usin firefox

It wouldn't be his home PC but his LAN. I have a similar service issue when connecting to my domain URL within the LAN. I know it's better for me to type //name in the bar instead, but it's simpler to me if I just use the URL. I can go to the site just fine from the server. Everyone can go to the site just fine even though it's slow and they're connecting to a box on a dial-up connection. o_O

The problem is that any computer on the LAN trying to reach the site will get an instant timeout. I've never been very good at figuring out that kind of thing. =/

"The page works fine but I don't have a login, so I don't know what's supposed to be working."

I'm only looking for access to the page itself. Once I get to it (from another computer at work or someone else's house) everything works normally and I can log in.

Ok, so I tried turning off 'Friendly errors' and then all I got was a totally blank page. Didn't let me through.

" I personally get prompted to accept an SSL certificate "

Yeah, this is what I get through every other computer and then it lets me in fine. But I can't even get to this stage from home.

"perhaps you need to install their SSL cert into your cert store first, before you'll be allowed access?"

This sounds like something I haven't been able to try yet. But I don't know exactly what that means. I've looked at the Internet Options - Content - Certificates, but it didn't mean anything to me. I don't know how to add them. Any hints?

Thanks a bunch! :)

One thing you can do, considering the installation of the SSL cert probably isn't necessary (or we also would have trouble accessing the site), is to get a network trace of your machine connecting to the site (well, actually, a trace of the error occurring). You could at least see what is coming "across the wire", and see what kind of HTTP error the server is giving.

"is to get a network trace of your machine connecting to the site (well, actually, a trace of the error occurring). You could at least see what is coming "across the wire", and see what kind of HTTP error the server is giving."

Sorry, this sounds like a good idea, but I've never done anything like this before. Could you tell me how to go about it? I tried to search for 'network trace error' but I couldn't come up with a document that was at all comprehensible to me. Or is this something only an advanced user will be able to do?

Sorry, I probably should've been more forthcoming.

You can use ethereal to do just this - http://www.ethereal.com/. Network tracing or monitoring isn't difficult, but I wouldn't call it a novice activity either. You can find pretty good documentation on using ethereal at that site as well on the documentation page.