[problem] explorer and memory problem

Martijn

Hello all,

lately I'm having a problem with windows explorer.

Every time I try to launch a window in explorer.exe it pops up a window saying windows had run low on memory for that application.

I've never to rarely had this problem before. I got a lot of memory free when it says that so the memory can't be the problem.

Could it have something to do with Avast! Antivirus?

I got a lot of memory free when it says that so the memory can't be the problem.

Wrong.

One important thing to note about the Windows memory manager is that it allows the OS and application to know almost NOTHING about how much physical RAM is in the machine, available, used, etc. All applications are assigned virtual address space, and that address space is the only thing an application sees - it's the memory manager's job to assign that to either RAM or the pagefile (virtual memory).

If an application complains of being low on memory, it's usually complaining about virtual memory - perhaps your paging file is too small (or you've disabled it), or you're running out of some other resource (such as desktop heap, kernel nonpaged pool, or kernel paged pool memory)?