Explorer doesnt activate.

BradBo

This is a problem I've had periodically.

I believe when I reboot it cures itself.But sometimes it take a few times.

The problem is if I go to START>MY Computer or any other file explorer option my curser goes into a couple seconds of hour glass mode and nothing happens.I have to click on a Desktop shortcut for a folder to get into the file explorer.

Is this some kind of startup problem.It minor but annoying enough that Id like to know the reason.

Thanks

Brad

Edited by BradBo

Sometimes that happens when it's trying to read the CD-ROM drives. If you've got a bad CD in there and it can't read it, it will do that. Or if the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM is bad, it could do that.

Or it could be a scanner that XP is not able to load (scanners show up in My Computer). Or it could be anything Plug-and-play that shows up in My computer.

Maybe a hard drive is bad?

The other thing I have seen this on is mounted volumes...in particular mounted network drives. Basically, anything that is not a quick connection can bog down explorer when opening. However, you could also try doing a defrag and that may speed things up a bit...kind of a long shot but if you haven't kept up with your defragmentation, it really can hurt performance. Worth a try for sure if you can't remember the last time you did.