RM on MCE extender

im trying to get rm and rmvb files to play on my media center extender i read on the site you can get it to play on the MCE not sure is it on the extender or the comp but i did them and i got the Extender to see the rmvb files but it wont play if you guys need to know the extender model number its an linksys WMCE54AG if you guys find a way to make the extender to play the rm please tell me

Edited by New Guy

Currently the only proprietary filetypes and codecs that the extenders support are MS's own formats. On the computers you can get MCE to play almost any file that you can play in WMP 10.

• 2 weeks later...
yea i was hoping it may be a hack or something that you can do on the extender to make it watch it

Sure you can. I **** near scoured the whole internet looking for something that would work and wouldn't you know it....

XILISOFT VIDEO CONVERTER

Convert any file to be played on Linksys extender. Make sure to convert to MPEG-2 MOVIE format and that you overwrite the video size with the original. You'll see what I mean as Xilisoft shows you the original size and the default (which you can overtype).

IT CONVERTS SUPER FAST. No kidding!

Oh, sometimes when watching the movie on the extender the movie would have that old kung fu godzilla effect (tall and skinny). Easy fix is to play the tv (if you have a tv card), sorry haven't tried anything else.

Also, you can convert the ms-pvr to other formats using DIGITAL MEDIA CONVERTER.

Expect to spend a day encoding though. It's the only one that converts MCE recorded movies (that I know of).

Hope it helps. And let me know how it works out for ya

As soon as I finished my last post, I went looking again for something better.

I can't believe what I came across.

I'm using K-Lite Mega Codec 1.52 w/ FULL options.

I downloaded Transcode 360, ran the setup...

I did NOTHING after the setup.

I powered on my Linksys Extender, picked an AVI movie, hit the Info button on my remote, selected More from the menu and hit an onscreen button called Transcode.

It worked. And not only with AVI files either!!!

HOLY s***!!!!