windows 98 internet explorer problem

janus zeal

ive got a really stupid problem with windows 98se [sp 2.1a]

i just installed it, ive got everything working. im posting from it in firefox now. when i try to open internet explorer to use windows updates i get a msn internet setup screen. and nothing i can think of will let me access the internet from IE.

i know this is a noob problem, but i dont remember ever dealing with this on any win98 install before.

thanks!

usually when you first set up 98se, etc....and go online, it will ask you to set up the internet connection. I have cable modem, so run through it as I will use existing connection, etc....

Step through it and it should be logical enough.....

normally thats what i would do, but this is the msn internet setup wizard, not the normal internet connection wizard. my only option is to connect with a dial up modem. (it forces me into the modem install wizard, and i dont have a modem) it wont let me select the LAN adaptor or wifi adaptor...

[edit] i thought about it for a second and remembered the real internet connection wizard has an option for an LAN connection. i looked through the start menu and found it. i feel kinda stupid now for not thinking of this sooner... well, thanks for your help ^_^

Edited by janus zeal

that's odd...but I have seen the same internet setup and ran it before..

since I can't duplicate it now for you....others will know exactly what to do.

Maybe you could check/adjust your interenet settings in the control panel/internet options/connections.