[MISC] Help with Network Share Permissions

Tryska

Hi y'all - this is my first post here, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

For the last few weeks (since our last server reboot) we've been experiencing a very strange problem with NTFS permissions for network shares.

It's only affecting some users, and departments, while other shares on the same drive are not having issues.

Basically - permissions are randomly dropping from both departmental shares and personal shares (so both users and groups).

We reset them, and a few days later, they'll drop again. It doesn't seem to be an inheritance problem, because in some cases, a user will lose permission to his share, but not, say - the .pst file within his share.

one interesting thing I experienced the other day - a user had lost permissions to her personal share, and when i went back and added the permissions back correctly, and applied them, i lost all the other permissions, except the one i explicitly added.

In looking in event viewer i'm not seeing anything untoward other then just this morning a lot of security failure audits for the system account.

Could this be what's causing the permissions to drop? and if so why, and how can i fix this?

Edit: Topic Title Edited!

Edited by Gouki

One little anomoly that I've noticed is that if you disable default administrative shares and then later enable sharing a drive from the root, when you reboot that computer the share will be gone. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's by design. One footnote: this is in workgroup mode, not domain mode.

Thansk RogueSpear - this is domain environment. And we set up the shares at least a year ago, and have rebooted monthly since then, but this issue has just popped up in the last month. I'm thoroughly puzzled.

We jsut did a restore of the ACls for that server yesterday, so I guess we'll have to watch and see if this happens again.