Windows Explorer not working properly after latest Windows Update

dsy5

I just received the latest Automatic Update from Microsoft today. After restarting, it seems to have goofed up Windows Explorer! Now whenever I open it from the right context of the start button and choose explore, it opens with the Start Menu and I cannot click on the [+] open nodes to open any drives or folders. All that happens is an hour glass. I can click on each folder to show the contents in the right pane, but the treeview functionality seems to be gone.

Anyone else experience this anomaly?

Uninstall 908951 or any HP software you have on your machine, and the problem should go away.

I did a system restore to just before the update and the problem went away. I can't seem to find the update 908951 you refer to and I'm not sure that I want to remove my scanner and printer software for the HP stuff. If this is caused by the new update, I don't understand why removing the HP software would help? Maybe you could enlighten me :unsure:

QUOTE(RyanVM @ Apr 16 2006, 02:51 PM)

You don't need to remove the HP software

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

The only issue is that they tell you to set the DWORD Value to 1 (Resolution para 6). I couldn't do this - it stayed stubbornly at 0 - but the fix still worked. Scared me something dreadful though - I have NEVER tinkered with the registry before, and I hope I never have to again!!!!

Brian

Edited by BBlandford