Lost Start Menu IE Icon

CLASYS

Hope this is not an old hat issue:

Using the default Luna interface, the special Icon for IE [with the Internet Properties for example, this is NOT merely a shortcut icon!] "remove from this list" was invoked, so now it's gone.

Is there any way to get it back?

Please don't mention making new shortcuts [regular ones] or "reinstalling" IE from the CD, or customizing the DESKTOP icons, since that's not the problem.

When the Luna interface is turned off, and/or you use desktop icon for IE, that icon is a special one and can do the Internet options stuff on its property-sheet, but how to move that one or equivalent into the main start menu of the Luna interface [meaning NOT on the "All Programs" portion]?

Thanks for any pointers on this,

cjl

Hello, Had a fresh install of xp on a virtual machine, dragged the link from the start menu and zipped it up. probably isnt exactly what you were looking for but hopefully its close. I did test this on my real pc just before posting this, i have firefox set to my default browser on here, and it was reflected as such through the links actions.

Internet.zip

this is pretty simple. go to control panel and click on taskbar and start menu. or you can right click on taskbar and click on properties. click on customize and then on start menu tab. you'll see an option called show in start menu. internet explorer is probably unchecked. check it and you're done.

look around in the properties, it's there somewhere.

doodr's method above will not work as this is not a link like other links.

Edited by spacesurfer

Please don't mention making new shortcuts [regular ones] or "reinstalling" IE from the CD, or customizing the DESKTOP icons, since that's not the problem.

Not to sound harsh, but it is the answer he asked for. IMHO, it's much better to find out how to toggle the switch, and therefore how the system works, than to throw a shortcut in as a workaround.

Not to sound harsh, but it is the answer he asked for. IMHO, it's much better to find out how to toggle the switch, and therefore how the system works, than to throw a shortcut in as a workaround.

it wasnt a normally created shortcut, it was a copy of the one from the startmenu which is clearly not a normal shourtcut.

and why would it be harsh (rhetorical) "though your method is the more so proper solution"

Didn't want to stir up the hornets!

spacesurfer is correct.

The problem with any and all other methods is that this is one of those "special" icons that plague us in every version of Windows.

"Regular" icons have a somewhat fixed set of "properties" on their "property-sheet" and you really can't get any unusual actions added, unless some sneaky utility pokes its nose into just about anything and everything [like Norton AntiVirus for example].

But these "special" icons are another universe, and each is a special variant of a special case. doodr describes how to make an alternate "special" icon that is close, and in fact has a mixed bag of too many options [some of which are useful, just not authentic!] more like the desktop icon, but yet not exactly that either, and still not all of what the original wants. [And Windows allows both on the desktop, one showing as a shortcut and the other an icon. Customize Desktop is the source of the normal one, the other is the dragged one. Curiously, Windows has no way to redrag it back to the start menu...] In any case, it doesn't get you back to the three options that are essentially identical to the OE start menu icon.

Ultimately, had it been necessary, the only "brute-force" way to do this would be some form of registry .reg patch if it could be isolated to a before/after kind of thing.

I have used the package 98lite on Win9X. A peculiarity it causes is that you lose the entire desktop icon for IE somewhat analogous to this small problem. TweakUI helps you get an icon at all back, but it doesn't fully work. Most importantly, the OPEN option is missing! [And not particularly a 98lite problem, it is possible through some sort of IE upgrade process, dunno exactly when to install what, etc., but you can get an extraneous CUT option on the right-click menu that has no possible pairing with a PASTE that never happens!]

I fixed it by creating a .reg patch that put back the property-sheet "handlers" in the registry that are normally there by doing a normal versus damaged entire registry dump/compare and removing the overhead of stuff that just changes because you booted up [which is amazingly large!].

Thanks for helping me avoid having to do something like that all over again!

cjl