Broadcom NICS

I've been using RIS for a little over a year now on HP boxes with Broadcom B57XX drivers. My boss just ordered a new shipment Thinkpads that have Broadcom NICs in them. My problem is it is a B57XX driver, however it will not use the same edited file for RIS. The only way I can get it to work is to edit the new driver .inf and put the three files in the i386 folder. I have tried moving them to the OEM folder for the image as well. Right now I am stuck moving the 3 files back and forth when I want to image a laptop or PC. Has anyone else encountered this and got it to work?

Are those three edited files in the i386 folder of your flat file source, as well as the proper OEM drivers subfolder? If they're there (and you've restarted the binlsvc), you shouldn't have to do anything else. If you do remove them, you will of course lose the ability to use the NIC properly in RIS until they're placed back in the i386 directory (and the binlsvc is restarted).

When adding support for non-native NICs in RIS, you need to have the driver in two different places. First the .inf file and the .sys file(s) must be placed in i386. Then the full driver set needs to be available elsewhere (depends on what method your using).

What I have noticed is that very rarely do you ever have to modify anything at all for the latter stage - where Windows XP Setup performs a PnP enumeration. Some people refer to this as T-39. It's the first part, getting the computer to boot to RIS that seems to present the most confusion and problems.

If you need to modify the .inf different for one group of computer from another group of computers, but they both will use the same .sys files, that's fine. Just put both .inf files, named differently, along with the necessary .sys driver files in the i386 directory. You don't need to concern yourself with breaking driver signing or anything for the first part. The only thing you need to do is jump start the thing into booting. Once that's done, the full driver set should be detected and installed during T-39.