Nasty Windows XP Networking

Si172

HI everyone,

First post on here so here goes!

I have a Windows 2000 Pro desktop computer which is connecting to the Internet through a broadband connection with freeserve. My modem is a USB ADSL Copperjet modem. :D

Now, my Windows 2000 machine is connecting to my network switch @ 100mbps.

I have a brand spanking new Windows XP laptop which is also connected to the switch @ 100mbps. Now, I can't seem to get the networking setup between the two computers for a start.

I'm not sure how to do the IP addressing setup or this silly network bridge thing either! I can get to the stage where I can ping the 2000 machine from the XP machine and vice versa but cannot see them in network neighbourhood. :)

I also wanted to setup internet connection sharing on the 2000 Pro machine so I can plug into my switch with the XP laptop and start browsing over the network.

So if anyone fancies a challenge your help is appreciated!! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

|Simon J|

Seems like ur isp is only allowing one ip, you can try this by switching off both computers then start the xp one and it should take the one ip you have.. if thats the case I suggest you buy a Linksys or D-link 4-port router.. they will share you connection on 4 computers or buy a 8port one if u need more comps...

HI everyone,

First post on here so here goes!

I have a Windows 2000 Pro desktop computer which is connecting to the Internet through a broadband connection with freeserve. My modem is a USB ADSL Copperjet modem.  :D

Now, my Windows 2000 machine is connecting to my network switch @ 100mbps.

I have a brand spanking new Windows XP laptop which is also connected to the switch @ 100mbps. Now, I can't seem to get the networking setup between the two computers for a start.

I'm not sure how to do the IP addressing setup or this silly network bridge thing either! I can get to the stage where I can ping the 2000 machine from the XP machine and vice versa but cannot see them in network neighbourhood.  :)

I also wanted to setup internet connection sharing on the 2000 Pro machine so I can plug into my switch with the XP laptop and start browsing over the network.

So if anyone fancies a challenge your help is appreciated!!  :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

|Simon J|

Check out this little tutorial..

Link

sunil