[WLAN] Network Problems

ABEO

I have had a search and can't seem to find anything relating to my problem, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

The situation is this:

I have a laptop and a pc running on a belkin wireless network.

The laptop seems to be slow accessing web pages, logging into Msn, downloading etc.

BUT it works...

Up until a couple of days ago(before installing Firefox) the pc was running fine, but now it will connect to MSN, but won't connect to the Gmail notifier, or access ANY web pages. if I reboot or disable then re-enable the connection it will let me load webpages for a while then it will just stop and I will get 'page cannot be displayed' errors.

Firefox won't work either, it says that the site is taking too long to reply, and that is for any site.

I can't even log onto the router from the pc(via the local ip address).

The router is a 'Belkin modem with high-speed 11g router' F5D763*-4 I believe.

Has anyone had similar problems? is it my network settings on the computer?

I have tried to make sure everything is the same as on the laptop but there may be something I am missing.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Edited by Gouki

does the laptop have a built-in ethernet jack? If so, have you tried to use that? That would eliminate whether it's a wireless problem, or just a laptop problem in general.

Without knowing that, it sounds like a laptop issue, but it's tough to tell. I might try uninstalling the wireless nic from the device manager, and then reboot the PC. upon reboot, it should re-install the device.

Edited by rendrag

rendrag, Thanks for the reply!

The laptop doesn't have a NIC jack on it no, I would have tried that, I don't fancy taking the PC downstairs and testing it that way.

The laptop seems to always connect, but it is VERY slow.

I have re-installed XP on the PC, and it seems to be working better now(it actually connects now) but it still isn't up to speed really(considering it's 1Mb broadband!).

The PC always connects to the router at about 80Mbp/s, so I don't think it's a connectivity issue, but then again when it's not working I can't access the router either.

The fact that it works after re-installing XP suggests that it was either some wrong network settings, or some software conflict(seemed to start happening after I installed FireFox) After re-installing I installed McAfee security centre as an alternative to Zone-Alarm, AVG, and a couple of other programs, that seems to be working well too.

Any more help would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

in a typical environment, you're going to see that your connection to your router should always be faster than your internet connection, mostly because a typical wireless B connection will be about 7-11mbps, and a typical internet connection will be between 768kpbs and 3mbps.

that said, your browsing should still be fast enough that you notice it. I haven't used a belkin wireless router before, so I don't know if this is available, but do you have the latest firmware available for that router? you should be able to get it off belkin's site. Router manufacturers will routinely release new firmware that addresses various issues, or adds new features. It will also address any corruptions that may have surfaced in the existing system. You could give that a shot

Rather than take the PC downstairs, maybe you could bring the router to the PC just so that you can web browse to the router and see if any settings are improperly set. Another thing to consider is that if you do want to perform a firmware update to the router, you do not want to do that through a wireless connection. That's just asking for disaster. Should the wireless connection drop midway through the firmware update process, you could be looking at a rather expensive doorstop.

It does sometimes work, that is what is confusing me, it will work for say 24 hours, then it will just stop responding, and won't work till I reset the router, and even then it might not work for a while. It just seems a bit tempremental...

I don't think there are any firmware updates, I have looked.

I just wondered if anyone else had this router and experienced problems.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check over the settings again now.

I've never had experience with the exact product you have, but I do have to say that I've sworn off Belkin. I've had a few of their products simply die on me in the last year when there was no real reason they should have. Also, I had a client that went out and bought about a half dozen Belkin UPS / Surge supressors and half of those have inexplicably stopped working too. I'm beginning to think that product quality isn't a priority over at Belkin.

I know this may sound crazy, but is it possible that someone is on a corless 2.4GHz phone when the connection is slow? I had a neighbor that had a similar problem and I found that when one of their 6 kids was on the wireless phone in the house the connection speed dropped dramatically. They bought a 5GHz range phone and the problems stopped. I doubt that is what is happening but I thought I better throw that out there.

I haven't had much luck with the Belkin products either.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys, sorry I haven't replied in a while(internet problems :P)

@cyberpyr8, Is there anyway that you know of to stop other things interfering without going round to peoples houses and asking if they use a cordless phone?

Also, does anyone know of a wireless Modem & Router(in one) that will work better than belkin, be fairly cheal, and with adjustable antennas preferably?

Thanks again everyone!!

well, if it operates in the 2.4GHz range, the product needs to be able to accept outside interference, even if it's detrimental to the operation of the device... that's FCC regulation. That said, there may be methods to reduce that interference, however I don't know any. Hopefully one of the other members here can chime in.

The linksys WRT54G is a very popular/inexpensive Wireless G router. It has adjustable antennas in that you can swivel them, if that's what you're looking for, but not extendable ones.

The linksys WRT54G is a very popular/inexpensive Wireless G router. It has adjustable antennas in that you can swivel them, if that's what you're looking for, but not extendable ones.

I'll check that router out, somebody mentioned that if you can take the antennas off on a router and add extending ones they are usually more responsive or something like that.

I'll have another look through the settings, thanks for your insight!