Windows 2003 Server Enterprise - RIS problems

.raven

Ok, hi @all,

i have a BBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG problem.

i installed a Server system. then i install the ris service

the next step i did was to create a windows xp sp1 flat image.

then i create a pre-image.

i don´t modifide any file. i connect von LAN to the ris, selected the image and it loaded.

then he formated the hdd and called error. this problem i solved. the prob i have is he called me some file corrupt. Please insert the install cd.

i don´t know what i can do.

i keep busy with the ris service since 1 month an i have NEVER succed a ris installation.

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

please help me. i show u a modified sif file. where can be the problem.

this is the sif file from my backup (pre-image) on bottom i show u the sif file from my flat image. ->

;SetupMgrTag
[data]
floppyless="1"
msdosinitiated="1"
OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
OriTyp="4"
LocalSourceOnCD=1
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin=1
AutoPartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect"
SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
SysPrepDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%SYSPREPPATH%"
SysPrepDriversDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%SYSPREPDRIVERS%"

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall=No
FileSystem=LeaveAlone
ExtendOEMPartition=0
TargetPath=\WinXP
OemSkipEula=Yes
InstallFilesPath=\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%
LegacyNIC=1
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
NtUpgrade=No
OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No

[UserData]
FullName="%USERFULLNAME%"
OrgName="%ORGNAME%"
ComputerName="%MACHINENAME%"
ProductID=00000-00000-00000-00000-00000

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome=1
OemSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=110
AdminPassword=ce553d94b7aa8444f500944b53168930ff6b14
EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1

[Display]
BitsPerPel=24
XResolution=1024
YResolution=768
VRefresh=70

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
ProcessPageSections=Yes

[Identification]
JoinDomain=%MACHINEDOMAIN%
DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition=no
UseWholeDisk=Yes

[OSChooser]
Description="Windows XP SP2 Backup"
Help=""
LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType=SYSPREP
Version="5.1 (2600)"
SysPrepSystemRoot="Mirror1\UserData\WINDOWS"
HalName=hal.dll
ProductType=0

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=49
Dialing=Pulse
AreaCode=31789

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000407

the flat image sif file code

;SetupMgrTag
[data]
floppyless="1"
msdosinitiated="1"
OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
OriTyp="4"
LocalSourceOnCD=0
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin=1
AutoPartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect"
SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall=No
FileSystem=LeaveAlone
ExtendOEMPartition=0
TargetPath=\WINXP
OemSkipEula=Yes
InstallFilesPath=\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%
LegacyNIC=1
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
NtUpgrade=No
OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No

[UserData]
FullName="%USERFULLNAME%"
OrgName="%ORGNAME%"
ComputerName=%MACHINENAME%
ProductID=PXF2C-4974T-XWQ64-KXH3W-TX3R6

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome=1
OemSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=110
AdminPassword=ce553d94b7aa8444f500944b53168930ff6b14bb23b451cdb608790b25c79ef4
EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1

[Display]
BitsPerPel=24
XResolution=1024
YResolution=768
VRefresh=70

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
ProcessPageSections=Yes

[Identification]
JoinDomain=%MACHINEDOMAIN%
DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition=no
UseWholeDisk=Yes

[OSChooser]
Description="Windows Professional - Automatitsierte Installation"
Help="Windows XP Professional wird vollautomatisch auf Ihrem System installiert. "
LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType=Flat
Version="5.1 (2600)"

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=49
Dialing=Pulse
AreaCode=31789
LongDistanceAccess="05151"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000407

i don´t know if it is the ris config, what must i config to have a full running RIS Server ??

.raven

1st - would have been better to post in correct area

MSFN Forums > Unattended Windows Discussion & Support > Unattended Windows > Unattended RIS Installation

2nd - read the sticky provided by RogueSpear; [How To] Unattended RIS Installs V2

3rd - you cannot use DoOldStyleDomainJoin in 2003 ris - it is mentioned in other topics

4th - calm down. i don' understand all of your problem, please try to explain slowly.

5th - did you use RISTEUP or RIPREP

This is caused either by a LAN driver or controller driver issue. Are you sure that you've integrated the proper NIC and controller drivers into RIS?

3rd - you cannot use DoOldStyleDomainJoin in 2003 ris - it is mentioned in other topics

Actually, if the flat image is XPSP2 and the domain functional level is 2003 native, you can do it in a flat image :). It's not guaranteed to work from riprep though.

Edited by cluberti

fizban2

What is this "Windows Deployment Services" you speak of? I did a quick google and only found some references to Vista and such. Any links/docs you can provide?

.raven

You may want to look at your answer files...there are some settings there that are different than I've seen. Namely:

LocalSourceOnCD=0

In every RIS SIF I've seen it's always:

LocalSourceOnCD=1

Now what that really means is beyond me, as M$ doesn't include a definition of that in any of the help files I have access to, but I would assume that might cause a problem with reading files.

Also, and I could be wrong on this, but you can't AutoLogon with an encrypted password.

I would suggest starting from scratch, but don't go editing anything until you know it works...take it step by step. First make sure it works with the default SIF, then after you know that works start editing things. I know this is frustrating, but if you don't have a good implimentation then your alternative is your current situation.

RIS is great, yet it does have it's problems. I highly recommend scouring the RIS sub-forum, as it has all the appropriate info you'll need. RogueSpear's guide is very handy, even if you don't impliment all his tweaks it still serves as a great baseline. It should be a sticky-post if I remember correctly.

What is this "Windows Deployment Services" you speak of? I did a quick google and only found some references to Vista and such. Any links/docs you can provide?

WAIK Longhhorn Windows Deployment Services

unfortuantly this is only the documents that come with the WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit), WDS is the replacement for RIS in longhorn, think RIS with WIM images based off Ximage, all booted through a Win PE. if you have a MSDN or Technet account you can download it there or if you are one of those specail people who got invited to the beta you can get it at connect.microsoft.com. it is a very cool tool. i would hightly recommend checking it out. it is Also back portable for XP and windows 2003 deployments and can run on windows 2003 SP1

LocalSourceOnCD tells Windows whether the setup files are being installed from a CD drive or not.

As far as WDS, you need to run a beta server product (VERY beta) to get WDS - it's very nice, but you won't get the full potential of using it until you use ximage and Vista, and I'm not sure running a beta server OS in a production environment is for everyone. RIS can be configured to do most everything WDS does (although not as pretty), and I always suggest using FLAT installation files over riprep images. Imaging and Windows are still not entirely happy working together, and flat installation images can be tweaked pretty heavily to completely automate from install to logon prompt, so the only real benefit to riprep images (other than getting around installing troublesome software that can't be repackaged properly) is that the install is usually a bit quicker than a flat install.

LocalSourceOnCD tells Windows whether the setup files are being installed from a CD drive or not.

Right, but it's only ever included in a RIS SIF, and never in a CD based one...makes me think it's some kinda trick that RIS uses. So if it were to be changed from the default value maybe the RIS server looks elsewhere, resulting in a file error...at least, that's my opinion as of right now. What do your RIS SIF's have for that value?

As far as WDS, you need to run a beta server product (VERY beta) to get WDS - it's very nice, but you won't get the full potential of using it until you use ximage and Vista, and I'm not sure running a beta server OS in a production environment is for everyone.

this is very true, but WDS will also Run on Window 2003 Server, it is true that WDS is beta but also you can run it is 3 modes RIS, RIS + WIM and WIM only, this will allow those still using RIS to upgrade with ease, i agree it is something that if you are in a production environment you may not want to deal with it, but at least setup a sandbox with it there or at least know it is an option and will replace the RIS that you are currently using.