New utility for creating unattended xp iso?

I was thinking on developing an utility for creating unattended win xp isos. This is what i had in mind:

A wizard-like application where you start by choosing an OS source folder (maybe with winnt.sif for unattended).

You then select which software you would like to add, and what is to be optional (for a menu during installation)

Then you click finish and the iso is created for you. After this you can save the config for creating a similar iso at a later time.

Each software add-on would have a separate folder with one or several files, and a xml file to describe how it is to be installed (execute this, copy that, add that to registry....), and what stage of installation (t-12, t-39...). The software would be stored locally in a separate folder and merged with the OS during creation of iso.

Folders would typically be arranged like so:

OS\Win Xp Pro\...

OS\Win Xp Home\...

Software\Office\Microsoft Office\...

Software\Office\Microsoft Office\_config.xml

Software\Office\Adobe Acrobat\setup.exe

Software\Office\Adobe Acrobat\_config.xml

Software\Registry Tweaks\....

Software\Games\...

So when selecting software you would browse a tree, and if selecting a top folder it would select everything under this folder.

If there is a need for something like this I would be happy to try to create it. I'm not a very experienced programmer but I think I should be able to pull this off. We can use this thread to discuss exactly how the utility should work. Input from experienced users would be highly appreciated.

But, if something similar already exists, please let me know so I don't waste my time. And pardon my bad english

unfortunately there are already a fair few programs out there that do prety much identical things, nLite + WPI are the two best programs and will accomplish what you want without much effort at all.

I want to quickly select what software is to be included from a library on my pc, and leave the original xp uncluttered. And automatically generate a menu to be run during installation, preferably at t-39. And without having to worry about creating cabs. So when I add something to my library i just copy the installation folder and add an xml file that describes what to run - perhaps something must be done at one stage (registry?) and something else at another, like guirunonce. Now if I already had made a previous iso i would reopen this project and tick the new software if i wanted to include it, then choose if this is to be optional or not (visible at menu).

I'm not sure if UnattendXP let me do this, it looks kinda complicated.

Maybe my project would only be useful if you create multiple versions of an iso.. one for dad, one for mom, one based on Pro, one on Home, etc..

I have only made unattended xp isos manually so far, but I don't like working directly in the xp source, or having to copy it from a clean one when i start a new project.

Edited by Sinensis