How to install Win XP into a USB HD?

Cr4z33

I would like to install Window XP Pro SP2 in an external USB hard disk, but as soon as I choose it as destination the installation stops with this message:

Your Computer's startup program cannt gain access to the disk containing the patrtition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install windows XP on this hard disk.

This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an erro condition for example disks attaced to scsi adapter that wasn't installed by your manufacturer or to a sedondary hard disk controller are tipicallly not fisible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your cmputer or hardd siisk controller manufactureer for more information.

only x86 computer this message may indicate a probmem with the cmos drive type settings. See your disk controller dicumentation for more information

press enter to continue.

Can you please tell me a way to install it anway?

Were all those spelling errors in the original message? :blink:

Does your BIOS have the capability to mount USB storage devices as HDDs and emulate them as such completely, as well as the ability to boot from them?

I've seen this problem mentioned before here, maybe searching around might get you the answer.

Were all those spelling errors in the original message? :blink:

Does your BIOS have the capability to mount USB storage devices as HDDs and emulate them as such completely, as well as the ability to boot from them?

I've seen this problem mentioned before here, maybe searching around might get you the answer.

Lol, I copy&pasted it from a Google search result and didn't do a spell check! :lol:

The computer is from a friend of mine so I will have to check if there's a new BIOS out there that allows this.

I also did already a board search, but I couldn't find an aswer to my problem.