Windows 98se, IE and Unofficial service pack Installation?

unof

Greetings. A nice site you have here.

I have been using Windows 98se for quite a while. I have never been able to get whatever IE comes with the cd to install/work and have installed IE5 from an old ISP provided cd I have. I have never installed any patches, upgrades or such and am now having difficulty getting on a number of sites.

I am thinking of another fresh install.

What I would like to know is: what is the recommended install method, including the installation of IE and the unofficial service pack?

Could anyone point me in the right direction please.

I am a bit of an oldtimer, live in New Zealand and am on dialup.

With best wishes to All...

Hi Unof,

There is a special subforum for the USP2, you might want to look around there. The most recommended install order you will find is:

- Win98se

- IE6 SP1

- DirectX9.0c

- Hardware drivers (motherboard, sound, video)

- Ms. Office (if you want)

- Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a

- Visit Ms. update for what is missing (IE6 updates mostly)

good luck!

BTW, consider yourself lucky that you don't have a broadband connection. On Win98+IE 5.0 that has never been updated, broadband would be a bit suicidal I think...

Thanks for the informative reply Noguru. It is much appreciated.

I have looked at the usp2 subforum. And below I have put some comments and questions in square brackets in your list:

- Win98se

- IE6 SP1 [how about if I put Firefox and Thunderbird in here instead of IE6? I get rather confused with all the SPs, updates, hotfixes? and/or whatever with IEwhatever]

- DirectX9.0c [do I really need this? I am not into anything fancy in the video line. And I note the download can be between 10kb and 162mb! from ms]

- Ms. Office (if you want) [not using this]

- Visit Ms. update for what is missing (IE6 updates mostly) [won't need this if I am not using IE6 will I?]

I am wondering if the places I setup for connecting to my ISP are in the browser or in Win98se? And also where I put my pop data in. Is that in my email program or Win98se? And at what stage in the install would I do this?

I should be right if I can understand the basic order of doing things and where it is done. (I have installed 98se and IE5 before but it was rather hit and miss and it was quite some time ago).

And yes, just as well I am not on broadband. The speed alone would kill me, let alone the computer :) (It is 733mhz and 256mb).

Edited by unof

About IE6 (or5), this is integrated into Windows. So even if you use another browser you will still have it on your system. I would always keep it up to date just because of that.

Some sites like Ms update or electronic banking don't work with firefox so in those cases you still need IE anyway.

DirectX is a only a must when you play games but is basically a collection of API's that are a sort of bridge between your multimedia related hardware and software.

A later version of DirectX than 6.0 that comes with Win98 might improve things like soundquality and 2d grafics as well.

But indeed it can be a big download on dialup. ..

Perhaps you can find/borrow some (older) game-CD with a later version of directX.

Win98 has a wizard to set up dial-up connections. Leads itself. Your E-mail account is set up in your E-mail program. (or the wizard takes care off that too? I don't remember, but in your E-mail program is always possible)

Good luck again, you have done this before so I'm sure that you can work it out. Trial and error is the best way to learn, believe me :)

Just be sure that you have a back-up from ALL the data you want to keep, forgetting some is the only thing that can really go wrong.

Hi Unof,

There is a special subforum for the USP2, you might want to look around there. The most recommended install order you will find is:

- Win98se

- IE6 SP1

- DirectX9.0c

- Ms. Office (if you want)

- Visit Ms. update for what is missing (IE6 updates mostly)

I got a kind of related problem. Installed win98se on new PC. Then unofficial service pack 2.1a. Then I did (whoops I think) an IE 6 full upgrade (had it on CD) IE version is now 6.00.2600.0000. BUT when I try to do IE6SP1 it's a no go. Won't run and says version is incompatible or something. I don't actually use IE6 for browsing but i'm wondering about all the other files it uses. What do you advise? TIA

Thank you very much for your further helpful information Noguru.

And thank you Eidenk for your tip about DirectX on slower machines. I have found Directx 8.1b and its appears to be in two sizes:

DirectX8.1bRedistPackage.EXE 24.6mb

or

DirectX81eng.exe (this is 8.1b) 12mb

I assume I download the second smaller one. Just want to be sure with my slow download speed :)

I am not sure I really need DirectX. I do not do banking on the web and only really surf and email. I am also short of Dialup time at the moment. I get a new allocation on the 15th of April. Could I do my new install, get online with it, and then download DirectX and install it later?

Sorry about all these questions... and sorry I can't help you Spock.

sorry for this late reply,

Like eidenk mentioned you might have some multmedia probs without a decent directX. It's up to you to wait with installing, your system wil run without it too.