RIS Error 00004E23 not valid computer name

right,

am trying to get Ris to work across our wan to see how it works..

Have created a computer account as we did for local Ris installed PCs. this is done in ad by specifying the GUID & a valid computer name.

i have double checked this account in AD & have recreated it with a different computer name. I keep getting the error above on the last blue screen where it should state the computer name it will be given just before installation starts.

any one have any ideas what is causing it & a solution?

google dosent have much on this error code & nor does support.microsoft as per usual.

Edited by chiners_68

This is purely speculation.. but perhaps the RIS server is detecting a slow link and rather than give an intelligable error message that makes sense, this is what you're seeing. It's been a long while since I've needed to care about the specifics of AD Sites and throughput speed detection, but that's about the only thing that comes to mind. Remember, you're going to be pumping about 400MB across that WAN link.

thanks rouguespear,

I have s server on that site i can use it was mainly to see if it would work across a wan link & how long it took.. Ill get ris instaleld on that site..

this was tested on a 10MB leased line link.. were going to 100MB soon so ill retry it then.